JimHamade
1 Copper

Re: PowerEdge 2800 power problem

Hello again,

Here's a more detailed description of the problem..

When I connect the power cord, the green LEDs light on the back of the power supplies, the power supply fans "whir" and lights light on the front of the machine, then the light on the power button starts blinking after a short while. Neither the blue or amber status light is light. Documentation indicates that the system has no power. (Table 2-1 @ <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

The green light on the power supply indicates that a power source is present but no other lights come on the power supply. The light on the LCD screen comes on on the front but does not report any problems. The power button green light flashes on and off and when I press the power button nothing happens.

The rear system status indicator flashes amber and changes to blue when the System Identification Button is pressed.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Your EE thread doesn't have "no" solution ... he successfully resolved the issue by replacing the motherboard.  Sadly, that may be your answer too.  If you have eliminated the PS's as the faulty component, try the following, in this order:

• reseat the riser card (long card with expansion slots, blue release lever goes to full 90 degrees to release)
  • clear the NVRAM using the motherboard jumpers near the system memory (you will need to re-enable RAID under Integrated Devices after clearing - ignore the message about data loss on switching)
  • disconnect everything non-essential - drives, all but a single stick of memory in slot 1, etc., and remove any expansion cards
  • Remove both processors, put proc2 into the first slot, swap if no change - if it works, start replacing parts one at a time until you find the faulty part

If none of these resolve your issue, then I'd say it was your motherboard too.

0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

I would definitely agree with theflash1932 there as this is exactly what I've asked Gregg to do with his PowerEdge 2800, if all the above don't resolve the problem, we would have to conclude that the motherboard is the cause of the issue.

If you can let us know how you get on, it would be very much appreciated.

John C

Dell EMC
| Commercial Social Media Quality Lead

0 Kudos
JimHamade
1 Copper

Hello All,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried all the suggestions and concluded it was the mobo.  Bought a new one and whola, my system was up again.

Thanks again,

Jim

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Glad it's back up and running 🙂

0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Thanks for keeping us up to date and I'm glad that we could help! If you have any further problems, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

John C

Dell EMC
| Commercial Social Media Quality Lead

0 Kudos