Highlighted
gahoola
1 Copper

PowerEdge 2950 Fan Issue

I am having an issue with the PowerEdge 2950 where the Fans are in over drive.

I get the following error:

E1310 RPM Fan 3 E1313 Fan Redundancy (switching the fan did nothing still says Fan 3).

I have swapped the fans, cleaned the fans, blown out the connectors and it still gives teh same error which leads me to believe it may be a board problem...?

Dell OpenManage says:

System Board FAN 3 RPM 0 RPM [N/A] [N/A] 2025 RPM [N/A]

The zero reading is incorrect, all fans are spinning and are working fine.

#1. Does this mean that something is wrong with the connection on the board?

#2. Will the other fans wear out now that they have to compensate for the incorrect reading ?

#3. Is there anyway to get these fans to slow down it sounds like an air craft carrier.

0 Kudos
16 Replies

Re: PowerEdge 2950 Fan Issue

What are  the current bios and ESM levels on this server?  What OS are you running on this server?

Regards,

Geoff P
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device!
(iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
gahoola
1 Copper

I am currently using Windows 2003.

I have seen no option in the bios/OpenManage to view such details.

I must say that this occurred last week, everything was working fine until our last backup.

I have included the server log below

0 Kudos

In OpenManage, click on the plus (+) sign next to Main system chassis.  This will list the bios and ESM\BMC firmware levels.

The log is not visible.

Regards,

Geoff P

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device!
(iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
gahoola
1 Copper

Server Log: http://sdrv.ms/10ZOaT8

BIOS Version: 2.3.1

System Board Ambient Temp: 21.0C

Dell OpenManage Version: 5.3.0

**Don't see EMS menu option

0 Kudos

The current bios level is 2.7.0; here is the link to update the bios: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER80055M/2/PE2950_BIOS_WIN_2.7.0.EXE  and will require a restart.   Here is the link to update the BMC\ESM: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00928610M/1/2950_ESM_Firmware_4NNNG_WN32_2.50_A00.EXE

Upgrade the BMC first, then start the bios update, thus only having one restart.   Both of these have the algorithms for controlling fan speeds. If this doesn't change anything, then there is something failing on the motherboard.  

Regards,

Geoff P

(iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
gahoola
1 Copper

Thank you Geoff,

This solution has been carried out to no avail.

I assume this is a board problem.

This server may no longer be supported by DELL.

Is there a way to disable that functionality ?

I believe I may have to leave it as is and let it die.

0 Kudos

There isn't a way to disable the fans in the bios or in OpenManage.  You may want to check impactcomputers.com to see if they have a replacement board for your server before letting it "die".    

Regards,

Geoff P

(iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
gahoola
1 Copper

Thanks for the site.

Will the fans have a negative short term impact on any other internals running at the increase speed?

0 Kudos

In the long term it will affect the fans, since they are spinning at top speed. The other equipment will not be affected as such, as they are being cooled at high speed.    

Regards,

Geoff P

(iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos