Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

May 16th, 2013 06:00

PowerEdge 2950 Fan Issue

I am having an issue with the PowerEdge 2950 where the Fans are in over drive.

I get the following error:

E1310 RPM Fan 3 E1313 Fan Redundancy (switching the fan did nothing still says Fan 3).

I have swapped the fans, cleaned the fans, blown out the connectors and it still gives teh same error which leads me to believe it may be a board problem...?

Dell OpenManage says:

System Board FAN 3 RPM 0 RPM [N/A] [N/A] 2025 RPM [N/A]

The zero reading is incorrect, all fans are spinning and are working fine.

#1. Does this mean that something is wrong with the connection on the board?

#2. Will the other fans wear out now that they have to compensate for the incorrect reading ?

#3. Is there anyway to get these fans to slow down it sounds like an air craft carrier.

990 Posts

May 16th, 2013 08:00

In OpenManage, click on the plus (+) sign next to Main system chassis.  This will list the bios and ESM\BMC firmware levels.

The log is not visible.

Regards,

6 Posts

I am currently using Windows 2003.

I have seen no option in the bios/OpenManage to view such details.

I must say that this occurred last week, everything was working fine until our last backup.

I have included the server log below

990 Posts

What are  the current bios and ESM levels on this server?  What OS are you running on this server?

Regards,

990 Posts

May 16th, 2013 09:00

The current bios level is 2.7.0; here is the link to update the bios: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER80055M/2/PE2950_BIOS_WIN_2.7.0.EXE  and will require a restart.   Here is the link to update the BMC\ESM: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00928610M/1/2950_ESM_Firmware_4NNNG_WN32_2.50_A00.EXE

Upgrade the BMC first, then start the bios update, thus only having one restart.   Both of these have the algorithms for controlling fan speeds. If this doesn't change anything, then there is something failing on the motherboard.  

Regards,

6 Posts

May 16th, 2013 09:00

Server Log: http://sdrv.ms/10ZOaT8

BIOS Version: 2.3.1

System Board Ambient Temp: 21.0C

Dell OpenManage Version: 5.3.0

**Don't see EMS menu option

6 Posts

May 16th, 2013 13:00

Thank you Geoff,

This solution has been carried out to no avail.

I assume this is a board problem.

This server may no longer be supported by DELL.

Is there a way to disable that functionality ?

I believe I may have to leave it as is and let it die.

990 Posts

May 16th, 2013 14:00

There isn't a way to disable the fans in the bios or in OpenManage.  You may want to check impactcomputers.com to see if they have a replacement board for your server before letting it "die".    

Regards,

6 Posts

Thanks for the site.

Will the fans have a negative short term impact on any other internals running at the increase speed?

990 Posts

In the long term it will affect the fans, since they are spinning at top speed. The other equipment will not be affected as such, as they are being cooled at high speed.    

Regards,

September 10th, 2013 03:00

Dear GAHOOLA,

My Server Dell Poweredge 2950 have troubled me with same issue last week and I have brows many threads to get out of this problem asap even tried BIOS and ESM updates but nothing serves me well so I have decided to brainstorm my own remedy for same as a MechaTronics Engineer I have adopted very simple solution for same error that I have purchased 0ne dozen on 35 Ohms Resistor and bridge that with each of my fans making bloody noise; after this solution My Dell Poweredge 2950 server is working fine, even My RAID is also have now redundancy failure issue as yet. If you need any of my help of same or any other solution do contact me [ADMIN NOTE:  Personal details removed per privacy policy].

135 Posts

September 10th, 2013 10:00

why not try replacing all the fans.  I see a complete set of 5 fans for the pe2900 are being sold for under $20 ($6 buy it now plus $12 shipping) from that popular auction site.  given the work you have done I would certainly give other fans a shot before replacing the motherboard or doing some hack to a production system.  however my gut feeling is that the temperature sensor has failed and in turn is making the fan go into high cooling mode.

September 11th, 2013 07:00

I have even tried with replacing fan it still buzz like an aeroplane engine start but with my hack to it, its working fine as this is motherboard's problem not fans; which only cost me just 10 Cents or 10 pennies.:emotion-11:

135 Posts

September 12th, 2013 14:00

Hamid,

I understand that your hack of soldering resistors in line with the fans worked for you, and I applaud your creativity in doing so, but that does not mean the person who asked this question has the same problem that you have experienced.  And they also may not have your level of soldering skiils or may have a greater concern of doing such a thing to a production machine.  I would not recommend your solution for other reasons as well... I would not want to restrict the fans from operating in full speed mode as at times it is necessary for them to operate at full speed to cool the system and preventing this would mean the system would overheat and shut down.  But I am sure the idea is appreciated.

September 13th, 2013 04:00

Ok Cathaleen,
Its up to the other user to take the solution or not its up to their will, I am not forcing anyone to do the same but let me tell you that I am certified mechatronics engineer. I have benchmarked all the necessary protocol to even mitigate any further issues whatsoever but found nothing other than that anyhow thank for your kind suggestions, keep in touch.

Seasons Greeting. :emotion-59:
HM

June 26th, 2017 18:00

I have searched the forums of any fixes but to replace the motherboard ...

I have updated the Bios and ECM, and even the Perc drive ...

he system states that the Fan 1 or not spinning, and Redundancy is lost, and all fans are running at 4800 - 5000.

Fan 1 is actually working just as all others. I have swapped the fans several times and still reads as if Fan 1 is not turning (0 RPM) but it is working fine. 

Short of replacing the whole motherboard, how is this issue that begin a few days ago ???

No Events found!