Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2015 07:00

PowerEdge 2950 server failure - E1000 FAILSAFE,CALL SUPPORT E1218,PCI Rsr 5v PwrGd

Hi

Can anyone advise how to resolve this issue when the error below happens on the LCD ?

E1000 FAILSAFE,CALL SUPPORT

E1218,PCI Rsr 5v PwrGd

What needs to be replaced ?

Can I reboot the server to get it working while trying to find a solution ?

How long can the server be working as I plan a solution / purchase hardware for this issue ?

• 

8.4K Posts

March 18th, 2015 09:00

Lohyong99,

The issue you are seeing is due to a problem with either the motherboard, riser, or a PCI card in that riser. To start troubleshooting which one, take the server down to the minimum hardware required to POST. That is removing everything in the server but the folowing;

• System board
  • Processor (with heatsink) in socket 1
  • Two sticks of memory in memory slots 1 and 2
  • 1 power supply
  • Control panel (to turn on system)
  • Sideplane
  • Both PCI risers; PCI-e in center slot, (PCI-e or PCI-X) in left slot  

When you power off to do this, please reseat both risers. Be certain to remove the PCI cards from the risers as well. This will tell us if the issue was one of the cards in the riser. If we still get the error, when we power up, we know it is down to either the motherboard or riser. 

Do you happen to have another 2950, with a matching set of risers, that we can test the server with known good risers?

Likely the server is down until we replace whatever hardware is causing the issue, but we will have to see if reseating anything resolves.

Let me know what you find. 

1 Message

July 13th, 2016 12:00

I know this is an old post, but this might be useful for anyone stumbling across this in the future.  I had the same error codes as the original poster.  Upon examination of the PCI riser card I discovered an obviously compromised capacitor (picture below).  I'm pretty confident this is the source of the issue.

1 Message

July 25th, 2016 06:00

Same here...tx for posting pointed me to the exact issue we are having as well.

October 7th, 2016 16:00

Looks like we have the same issue.  I don't actually have any PCI cards plugged into the riser on this server:  Can I just pull the riser card in question and fire it back up?

548 Posts

October 7th, 2016 18:00

I'm no expert but i think the riser needs to be installed for the server to boot.
It's a simple enough thing to test in any case :emotion-5:

1 Message

October 15th, 2016 06:00

Hi.

My Poweredge 2950, burned exactly the same piece.

The procedure to correct the problem was simple.
totally turned off the server, removed the power cable, removed the board and replace it with a new one.

This problem does not damage anything in the operating system or data, quickly managed to fix the problem and let the running server.

Thank you all.

5 Posts

October 15th, 2016 19:00

Friend. I'm having a problem with my 2950 server is not connecting when I connect the cable to the source and give the power, the server does not turn on. The display does not appear any error. can you help me?

1 Message

October 27th, 2017 03:00

Hi there,

We had this exact problem as well, we were able to fix it by replacing the riser card. Seems like is a common problem the capacitor was gone on our card as well.

Not great of you can't get your hands on this card quickly.

Thanks

Dave Geoghegan

1 Message

January 16th, 2018 04:00

Thanks, i found the same problem and changed the part. thanks for the debug

1 Message

July 31st, 2018 14:00

Thanks!

We just had this issue and I was able to have someone solder a replacement capacitor on the board (got lucky with a local electronics repair place). Same numbers on the capacitor is all you need, slightly different shape and colors made no difference.

Problem solved!

No Events found!