Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2017 05:00

PowerEdge Freezes in Diagnostics

PowerEdge R430
Service Tag:

Hi,

We have a Dell PowerEdge Server. Upon testing it running the diagnostics, it stops working (freezes) when it comes to the OD (DVD,CD-ROM Drive). It detects TWO OD's instead of the single one that is installed and as soon as it starts the OD test, it freezes. Occasionally during the start of the OD diagnostic tests, the system will throw out a large garbage error messages on a "DOS" looking screen. White text, black background. The server works fine otherwise but we don't want to run into any issues down the line so this freezing issue is a problem. For now, we are trying to get an entire new server.

What we have tried so far : 

1.) When the OD drive is removed, it works and completes diagnostics successfully

2.) Replaced the OD drive and the cable

3.) BIOS upgrade

4.) Swapped around ports from OD to TBU

Note : We tried to obtain a new mainboard for the server, but the part we received was a recon unit and had pins bent on the CPU socket.

Any idea why this is happening ? How can this be sorted ? MB ? CPU ?

• 

8.4K Posts

September 14th, 2017 09:00

Cyberion1985,

It definitely sounds like there may be an issue with the motherboard port you are using. What I would like to try would be to swap the OD cable from #4 (the OD port) to #6 (TBU port) to test, if it works then its the slot itself and the motherboard replacement is going to be required. 

Let me know what you see.

September 14th, 2017 23:00

Thanks Chris, will get back to you when done

September 15th, 2017 00:00

Hi Chris,

It gives the same results on the other port

• 

8.4K Posts

September 15th, 2017 06:00

Would you confirm if the BIOS, iDrac, as well as the OD are all current and up to date on the server?

September 17th, 2017 23:00

Hi Chris,

The BIOSiDrac, are both up to date

I am unsure of the update on the OD firmare ?

September 17th, 2017 23:00

Hi Chris,

The BIOSiDrac, as well as the OD are all current and up to date.

I am unsure of what you mean of the OD being current and up to date ?

• 

8.4K Posts

September 18th, 2017 14:00

If you try the replacement OD with both the new cable, as well as the old one, in both motherboard slots. Does it fail under all configurations?

September 19th, 2017 06:00

new cable and odd were tried on both ports yes.

I was just informed that a new server will arrive in November.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, Chris. If there was new mainboard, it might just solve this issue like you said/suggested.

No Events found!