Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2015 09:00

PowerEdge M610 - IDRAC Update from version 3.65 to 3.75 fails

Hello,

I'm trying to update the IDRAC6 Enterprise of a PowerEdge M610 installed on a M1000e blade chassis. Actually the installed version is 3.65 and I'm trying to install the recently released 3.75.

I'm having some troubles, I tried some different ways:

- With "System Update Utility" from Windows 2012 R2

- Executing the package "ESM_Firmware_GR09H_WN32_3.75_A00.EXE" from Windows 2012 R2

- From chassis management using the payload "firmimg.imc" extracted from the package "ESM_Firmware_GR09H_WN32_3.75_A00.EXE"

- Using racadm and downloading the payload from TFTP

Everytime it says that update succeeded but the version of the IDRAC is stil 3.65 Build 6. So update isn't applied correctly. Executing the package "ESM_Firmware_GR09H_WN32_3.75_A00.EXE" from Windows 2012 at the end of the procedure I get the message "The update completed successfully." but in the same window a strange message is shown: "Device: iDRAC, Application: iDRAC Data File not recognized" (as you can see in the screenshot attached).

Someone can help me to solve this issue. All other updates from "Server Update Utility" are installed correctly.

Thanks in Advance,

Davide

1 Attachment

• 

6.2K Posts

August 28th, 2015 16:00

Hello Davide

The first update you attempted to apply may be stuck. After the update is uploaded to the iDRAC it should then initiate a restart of the iDRAC to apply the update. I would try manually restarting/resetting the iDRAC. You can use racadm racreset or there should be an option in the EWS to restart/reset the iDRAC.

I just updated an M610 from 3.65 to 3.75 to verify the image on our site was working properly. I downloaded the self extracting image file from:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=GR09H

iDRAC6_3.75_A00_FW_IMG.exe

It should be the same file you extracted from the Windows installer package, but you might want to try the other one just in case. Just run the executable to extract out the files.

Thanks

16 Posts

August 28th, 2015 21:00

Hello Daniel,

I was able to update the IDRAC to 3.75 downloading the update package from the link you provided me. I was using the file ESM_Firmware_GR09H_WN32_3.75_A00.EXE from the System Update Utility ISO file. I read in another post: en.community.dell.com/.../19643585 ;that probably was released a different file with the same filename that had some problem. I downloaded it again from your link and the update worked as expected. Thanks a lot.

I noticed a little bug totally independent from the IDRAC version: with the last version of the lifecycle controller (1.7.5.4) in the IDRAC6 "System Summary" the "Lifecycle Controller Firmware" is shown as "Not Found" but it works perfectly (invoking it with F10 at boot time). Rolling back to the Lifecycle Controller 1.6.5.12 in the "System Summary" page of the IDRAC6 the "Lifecycle Controller Firmware" reports correctly the version "1.6.5.12". It seems that the new version of the lifecycle controller doesn't report correctly it's version to the IDRAC.

I have another question, I ask here but maybe I would have to open a new post... I installed linux on the M610 and I'm having a lot of troubles with the keyboard layout from the virtual console. I'm using an Italian keyboard. I have some other M520 blades and I didn't notice this kind of problem.

Using linux from the virtual console of the M610 the keyboard layout is completely messed up: the letters works, a lot of symbols aren't working. It isn't a US keyboard layout, I didn't find some symbol at all, I get some strange ASCII symbols instead of the pipe and backslash for example.

Do you know if there is a solution for this problem?

Thanks again,

Davide

• 

6.2K Posts

August 29th, 2015 15:00

I have another question, I ask here but maybe I would have to open a new post... I installed linux on the M610 and I'm having a lot of troubles with the keyboard layout from the virtual console. I'm using an Italian keyboard. I have some other M520 blades and I didn't notice this kind of problem.

Using linux from the virtual console of the M610 the keyboard layout is completely messed up: the letters works, a lot of symbols aren't working. It isn't a US keyboard layout, I didn't find some symbol at all, I get some strange ASCII symbols instead of the pipe and backslash for example.

Do you know if there is a solution for this problem?

Yes, please create a new thread. Be sure to include the version of Linux you are using. It is likely going to be a driver issue within the OS.

Thanks

16 Posts

August 29th, 2015 18:00

Hello Daniel,

I created the new thread, you can find it here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/1466/t/19650655

As you will read I'm facing the same problem with Debian 8.0 Jessie and with FreeBSD 10.2. I have to work with both these OSes on two PowerEdge M610.

Thanks again for your lighting fast replies.

Kind regards,

Davide

No Events found!