PowerEdge Hardware General

Last reply by 04-15-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

PowerEdge R410 - System Board Failed CMOS?

I have a poweredge R410, and I get an error when i boot up saying Hardware failure battery something. So should I change the CMOS battery? Also I get:

Persistent correctable memory error rate has increased for a memory device at location DIMM_A4

But not sure if that's related but I'm changing the RAM.

Also in the logs it doesn't say CMOS error because i cleared it.

Labels (1)
  • er

Replies (21)

Do you mean flip the CMOS? So + will become -

Hi,

Could you check if the label is "Battery +", if yes, then the battery is installed correctly according to my knowledge. Just to make sure, is there any metal contacts on the other side of the picture?

Although the battery is correctly seated, but it seems loose from the socket. Can you carefully adjust both metal contacts (positive and negative) inwards. Make sure it is done softly, not to break the metal contact. 

DELL-Joey C
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

CMOS1.jpg

Yes it is "Battery +" label on motherboard.

I did notice while inserting the battery into the slot the metal tab wasn't touching the battery so I pressed it against the CMOS battery.

Do you have any video showing how to install the battery? I think the polarity is correct but the way I installed it was wrong.

The battery did seem loose when installing (tilting the one side).

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no specific video that I can find. There is only the user guide page 131 https://dell.to/3qXRS3t.

You may probably need to fix the metal contacts first, then insert the battery from the top side, similar to the user guide. Again, please be careful adjusting the metal contact, it's fragile. 

DELL-Joey C
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

wdym by "fix the metal contacts first"?

I was following the user guide only. I can't insert it directly from the top, I have to slide it from the metal contact first.

Can u explain in more detail on how to insert it?

Hi,

From what you described and the picture shown, the metal contact/tab are bent. Therefore the battery might have a loose contact, which can lead to errors. You may need to try push back the metal contact/tab inwards (without the battery), again, do it gently cause this may break the metal. Then install the battery in (same where how you are doing now, it's fine). Make sure visually both positive and negative metal tab are in contact with the battery well and the battery is seated tight in the socket.

DELL-Joey C
#IWork4Dell

I took a new battery from the pack of 5 and tried again gently, unfortunately the problem still persists.

IMG_20210414_112657.jpg

No orange led / error but when I reboot the time and date are wrong (gets set to 2018). I haven't checked iDrac tho. Could I get a person to come and repair it for me?

Also I get this fan error on boot. It asks for f2/f1 always, how can I fix?

IMG_20210414_112038.jpg

Hello,

if system is out of warranty, to have an engineer onsite you need to contact the Dell Technical Support where you are located. They can send you an offer for repair.

Thanks

Marco

Marco B.
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

Yeah I don't think I have warranty since I bought it from a third party and he isn't willing to help me even tho he says its under warranty.

So is this the server support number for India? 1800-425-9052

Also I'm an individual not a company, idk if that will be a problem.

Contacts should be this:

1800-425-8045 (Toll Free)
080-2510-8037 (Land Line)
+91 20 2510 8037 (Toll)

Anyway if you enter the service tag here it will redirect to the right number

https://dell.to/2RqbGjW

Thanks

Marco

Marco B.
#Iwork4Dell