Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2012 12:00

PowerEdge R510 HD Tray/Carrier

Greetings,

I've been trying to find a part number for SATA only HD carriers for a PE R510.  I've searched the forums and have seen the CC852 recommended a few times for several different PE Models including the R510, however from what I've read, this carrier seems to be for SAS/SATA and requires an interposer card to fit the backplane.  I do not plan on mixing SAS/SATA drives in this PE R510 and would like to know the SATA only model.  On the side of the carrier the part number is listed as 0X968D but searching the Dell web and community site returns no results.  I contacted a Dell support using the online chat for Enterprise/Business, but the agent told me Dell does not sell the trays/carriers which contradicts information I've come across here.  Lastly, I came across a thread that listed WJ389 as the stickers that identify the drive type and size on the trays/carriers.  Can anyone confirm this? Thanks for any help that can be provided.

990 Posts

May 25th, 2012 12:00

The part number is: X968D SATA Hard Drive Carrier Assembly, 3.5"    However, they are not available for sale separate from drives.   You may be able to locate them from a third party source, such as Impact Computers.  

Regards,

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 25th, 2012 13:00

Dell does not sell the carriers directly (without a drive), but the carriers are labelled with a part number, which is sold by many suppliers.  X968D does appear to be a 3.5" carrier compatible with the R510.

www.scsi4me.com/dell-0f238f-3-5-inch-sas-satau-drive-tray-caddy-carrier-for-poweredge-r410-r710-t610-etc.html

discountechnology.com/Dell-F238F-X968D-SATA-SAS-Hard-Drive-Tray

There are different holes to align to SAS or SATA drives.

Not all carriers fit all servers.  CC852 is for the older 9G servers.

www.impactcomputers.com/cc852.html

The carrier labels/stickers are a different shape on the new carriers versus the old carriers.  WJ398 is the older (6-9G) label (not that you couldn't use them anyway, they just wouldn't fit in the "spot" for the labels).  I could not find the "new" label sheets either.

R510 Rectangle Labels:

2950 Square Labels:

2 Posts

May 25th, 2012 14:00

Thank you both for your replies!

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 11:00

Good Afternoon Geoff,

I just purchased 8 - 1TB SATA drives for my R710 server and they did not come with the hard drive trays or labels.  The part number was 342-0143 and they were purchased from our Premier page.

My question to is this... Is there a different part number for drives that include the trays and if so can you please post those part numbers?  

Regards,

Manfred

990 Posts

June 25th, 2012 09:00

Good morning,

The drives you purchased were for a cabled system rather than for a hot swap.   You will need to contact your sales rep to return the drives and reorder from this SKU that includes the carriers, as they are not available separately:

341-9527

Regards,

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 25th, 2012 10:00

Just FYI ... you can buy trays/carriers from third-parties:

discountechnology.com/.../Dell-Trays-Hotswap-Hard-Disk-Caddies-Sleds

2 Posts

June 27th, 2012 16:00

Thanks for the information.  :)

No Events found!