Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 7th, 2013 00:00

PowerEdge R610 citrix xenserver installation on SD card (16,32 or 64GB)

Hi all!

We have 4 PowerEdge R610 servers with iDrac6 enterprise card. And  we wanna install citrix xenserver hypervisor on SD card instead of local HDD or SAN disks. I tried use back port of iDrac6 enterprise card, but without luck :( Please someone help me! :)

990 Posts

February 7th, 2013 07:00

The Installation may be possible to the SD cards, but at this time the only supported solution is to have it factory installed, unfortunately.  Some of the members of the community have found work arounds to get it installed.  We apologize for any confusion. 

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 7th, 2013 22:00

Hello,

We have installation CD\DVD, but I do not able select SD card for install. I can select SD card as boot Disk in BIOS, But can not see it in iDRAC6 or point the install to the SD card.

I tried some different cards but without luck. Maybe install on SD card  or cards 8, 16, 32 GB inserted in the back panel of the server (iDrac6 enterprise card) not supported by  Dell?

19 Posts

February 9th, 2013 11:00

I would highly recommend not installing Xenserver or any visualization OS onto an SD card. I tried for several days to get Xenserver stable on the internal SD Card slot on a Poweredge r420 and it would blue screen after 2-3 days. If you want to select the SD card as the boot device, I followed these instructions (you have to change the initrd filename to reflect your version of Xenserver):

community.spiceworks.com/.../1168-how-to-install-citrix-xenserver-5-5-to-boot-from-usb-device-or-sd-card

If you get this working I would be very happy to know what you did!

January 29th, 2014 06:00

i tried but to no avail. can i get other suggestions?

Regards

990 Posts

January 31st, 2014 08:00

After more research, it appears the only way it is working is through factory installation, at least in a supported method.   Otherwise, it appears to be hit and miss on the installation to the SD cards.

990 Posts

March 21st, 2014 09:00

Citrix XenServer is a supported OS on this server, so you should be OK.

Regards,

1 Message

March 21st, 2014 09:00

Ordering a PowerEdge R420 and want to install XenServer 6.2.0 on it. The drives are Raid 10 (4 1TB drives)  IS this going to work? I will probably be setting up 3 VMs on the server

No Events found!