Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2012 07:00

PowerEdge R710 Memory Configuration Failure

Hello,

We want to upgrade the RAM of our server upto 36GB. Presently we had 12GB installed ( 6*2GB). Now we purchased same RAM's module ( 12*2GB)

when i inserted the new ram and power on the system. The Log LED reads the error " Memory Configuration Failure" and then system will not boot.

Any suggestions. Much Appreciated.

Samir

• 

8.4K Posts

June 4th, 2012 08:00

Do you know the speed and rank on the dimms? I am going to send you an email. Would you reply with the svc tag for the server so I can compare what is originally installed?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

I would assume your memory is incompatible ... what is its speed, rank, layout?

• 

8.4K Posts

Thank you Samir,

Where did you get the new 12 2gb dimms? Was it from Dell?

• 

8.4K Posts

Samir,

Need to ask you a couple questions.

Are you using Rdimms or Udimms?

Do you have a second processor installed?

What is the Memory Mode set to in the BIOS? If set to Adv ECC then change to Optimizer.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

We are using Rdimms

The server has 2 processor. The Memory Mode is set to Optimizer.

Thanks

From our local distributor.

• 

8.4K Posts

June 4th, 2012 09:00

Samir,

Thank you for emailing.

The dimms that were shipped with the servers are UDimms, not Rdimms. So if you ordered the replacements as Rdimms, then that is the compatibility issue you are having.

The specs you are listing above are actually stating conflicting information. You have Rdimms listed first, but then UBE is listed, which identifies the dimms as Unbuffered (UDimms)

Please confirm this for me.

But we had purchased the identical RAMs with same specs and speed.

RDIMM,2G,1333,1RX8,8,240,UBE,LV

So we have given false RAM's. I mentioned Rdimm beacause we send those specs to our supplier. Above specs I recieved from supplier where I didn't notice term UBE

There is no other solution rather than replacing RAM ?

But one important thing I forgot to mention

I installed 6 RAM from the new ones's Therefore I am getting now 24MB. However, when inserted all to reach 36gb I recieved error mentioned earlier.

• 

8.4K Posts

Only thing you can do is remove the rdimms and and use the Udimms, or vice versa.

The max memory for the Udimms is 24gb, which is why it will max there. Rdimms is up to 72gb.

Thanks Chris for your support.I highly appreciate that .  I'll see what we can do with the supplier

No Events found!