Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2014 01:00

PowerEdge R710 fans - High RPM / Odd behavior

Hello,

I've recently upgraded the hardware of my PowerEdge R710. I've added a second processor and 6x4Gb RAM. After that my fans are going up to 8040 and 10440 RPM. There are five available sockets on the server and four are used. The front panel is showing two errors:

E1310 Fan 5 missing or RPM out of range. Check fan.
E1313 Fan redundancy lost. Check fans.
I'm pretty sure my server now wants all five fans to be seated instead of only four and when I got my CPU I also got a proper fan that fit. But when I'm trying to attach it to my server, it goes on full power (much louder than the other ones) and is not recognized.

A few weeks later I decided to purchase a new (refurbished) fan. Now comes the strange part. First you have to know the things I've done to limit this problem:

• All fan model numbers are equal
  • 4 fans are installed
  • 5 fans are requested from my PowerEdge
  • The new fan didn't work in slot #5 (0 RPM)
  • Fan #1 worked in slot #5
  • The new fan didn't work in slot #1 neither (0 RPM)
  • Put fan #1 back in slot #1
  • Tried to put the new fan in slot #5

As I put my new fan a second time in slot #5, the fan got recognized and showed normal behavior. The RPM of the other fans went significantly low. After 2 seconds my new fan got destroyed and the other fans started again to get noisy. Now I am at the end of my wisdom. I can't understand the problem of this server.

Could someone give me a hand on this issue?

990 Posts

January 6th, 2014 07:00

What are the current levels on your bios and iDRAC 6?   The bios should at 6.4.0; the iDRAC 6 should be at 1.96.    The downloads can be found here:

http://downloads.dell.com/published/Pages/poweredge-r710.html

Regards,

4 Posts

January 7th, 2014 00:00

Hi.

My bios version is 6.4.0. I've updated iDRAC to 1.96 with no effect. I've also restarted my server afterwards.

Thanks for your help.

I'm really convinced that this is a software problem. Are there any other software programs/drivers controlling the fans?

Greetings

990 Posts

January 7th, 2014 06:00

The bios and iDRAC\ESM control the fan speeds. Does the 2nd CPU match the first identically?   It seems the issues started when the second CPU was added. 

Regards,

4 Posts

January 9th, 2014 00:00

Yes that's exactly when my problem appeared. Unfortunately the second CPU matches the first one. I think since then my PowerEdge needed five fans instead of four.

When I take a look at my OpenManage WebClient I also notice a warning about my PERC H700 firmware which is too old. But I think updating this is not the solution.

33 Posts

January 9th, 2014 04:00

Hi. The Server needs the 5th Fan installed when you install a second CPU. Possibly the fan you fitted was at fault. The 4 fans are running high to compensate for the missing fan.

Hope this helps.

4 Posts

January 9th, 2014 07:00

Hello.

Thanks. Your statement already supports my anticipation. So I understand you right, that you would suggest buying a third fan?

As I've said a few post earlier I already tested 2 fans. One fan is damaged and the other one got damaged while seating it. My fears are that maybe a new bought third fan also gets damaged.

33 Posts

January 9th, 2014 07:00

Personally I would get a new fan. I would move fan 1 to fan 5 and place the new fan in fan 1. There is a small plug on the bottom of the fan. It will only go in one way. If you line it up correctly and are gentle with it, it should not damage the fan when seating it.

Good luck.

1 Message

August 12th, 2016 04:00

Hello, 

Thanks for this discussion, i have the same problem because i installed the second cpu.

Can I ignore this error ? because it's not a significant problem

No Events found!