Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2014 13:00

[PowerEdge R720] PCIe Training Error : Slot x

Hello,

I bought a PowerEdge R720 for my french DataCenter in Paris. I'm located in Montréal, Canada.

The purpose of this server was to capture Over The Air signal and stream it using many Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2200 cards.

I'm already using a bunch of these cards in many servers, including Dell servers. It always worked perfectly. But not with the new one. I always got messages PCIe Training error : Slot 6.

If i keep cold reboot it, sometimes it passes that step, but all cards are not recognized, only one. And the one recognized doesn't work properly.

I contacted the french support, and it have been headaches until now : They are telling me that card is not compatible with this server (i still don't know why). They doesn't want to support that server! 

They told me to upgrade firmwares, what i've done, but it's still not working. 

I don't know what to do to have my setup working. I already saw a lot of posts of that type in this forum, so i hope that someone will answer me. I was happy about Dell until then. But i have to admit that i'm really disappointed : french support doesn't seems to have any tech skills. When someone tell you that this card can't work because you don't have a graphic card in the server ... It's demoralizing ! 

Thanks. 

261 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 16:00

Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the TV Tuner card in your R720.  You could try one of the other x8 slots. Based on the slot priority chart for the R720, we do not see a configuration that matches.

It is likely that the microcode of the Ivy Bridge processors do not communicate well with the older generation PCI cards. By experience, the Sandy Bridge processors have interfaced better with the older cards. The R720 is only designed for Gen 3 PCI cards, and if you have the Ivy Bridge processors, then the odds are against that it will work with the older gen PCI card.

Dell has extensive testing and validated many third party devices which can found on the following R720 technical guide. See the Table section within the Table of Contents for the supported devices. Unfortunately, there is nothing close the tuner device that you are using.

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/dell-poweredge-r720-r720xd-technical-guide.pdf

Perhaps you may reach out to your Dell sales team and discuss a custom solution in which a specialized team can work with you and the vendor to provide the technical solution that fits your custom needs.

Please let us know if there is any further information that our team can help provide. 

1 Rookie

• 

104 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 16:00

Have you verified that it works in another computer?

3 Posts

August 6th, 2014 09:00

I also have others Dell servers running that TV card. They are running on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 and Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1280 V2 which is Ivy Bridge too and it works fine.

3 Posts

August 6th, 2014 09:00

Hello,

I tried with the same CPU on an other server from HP and it works.

It seems that it is the BIOS which is messing up with those cards. For sure there is a way to fix that problem with the intel Xeon E5-2630Lv2 and the Dell plateform.

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Loïc

No Events found!