Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 4th, 2018 05:00

PowerEdge R720 memory configuration error after BIOS update

Hi everyone,

We have a PE R720 92Gb Ram DDR3 and 3Tb HD, BIOS version 1.1.2, iDrac 7.

The problem arose when trying to update the BIOS by configuring IDRAC -> update -> search for the file BIOS_DYH8T_WN64_2.7.exe. The server was installed with vmWare 6.
Never before should someone update this server. and the update process will be maintained for a long time and I do not spend more than 1%, it will restart in the iDrac and then the hard disk and memory will not be recognized and the server starts. Now the screen shows "configuring memory..." and does not progress. The BIOS version remains the same (1.1.2) but now it does not start as I say.
Currently I have access to perform the process of updating the version using iDrac but it generates the following error "File RAC042 not valid for firmware update ....."

Thanks in advance.

Blessings.

• 

8.5K Posts

December 5th, 2018 13:00

Try putting in the memory in pairs and see if you can find a bad stick.

• 

8.5K Posts

December 4th, 2018 09:00

Hi,

Can you try booting to F10 for the lifecycle controller and doing the platform updates option?

6 Posts

Hi Josh,

Thank you so much for your help, I could not enter to BIOS options because just start the server, after that the first and only screen is "Configuring Memory", I disconected all memory less on A1 socket, I turned on the server and made the update without problem, so after prob all kind of things.

Finally I installed all memory but the error show again. We have 10 memory with 8Gb each one all memorys have 1333 Mt/s.

What do you thing? and thanks again!

6 Posts

sure! Let me some time

6 Posts

December 6th, 2018 05:00

Have a good day Josh,
I did the test installing RAM memory in pairs, I waited until the system starts and the BIOS recognize the new modules, after that I turned off the server and did again the process in pairs. At the end I found one memory module damaged.
I tried clean the RAM module but definitely is damaged because when I connect it the message is "Configuring memory..."
Finally the server is work again and thanks to God I don't need to change the mother board hehehe.
I hope this post help to someone.
Thanks you so much for your help Josh, God bless you.

No Events found!