Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2016 10:00

PowerEdge R805 Disk replcement

I replaced the 2 mirrored HDDs on my PowerEdge R805 recently, with new set of SAS 1TB HDDs for higher volume, configured on Raid 1 (200GB for System partition; 800GB for Data partition). Afterwards, I needed to slot in the old HDDs to be able to retrieve some documents from them, but the machine did not see them. Can anybody show me how I can make the server recognise the old Hard drives? The old HDDs are of 500GB size, configured on Raid 1 (100GB for System partition; 400GB for Data partition).

42 Posts

April 1st, 2016 09:00

You can fix this- go into RAID properties and activate the array.

Soo in POST.. catch the CTRL+c prompt. select the adapter- then raid properties- you should see both VDs, though the original will be "inactive" you need to simply activate the array.

-I have moved many data baring VDs on SAS6iR controllers.. this is entrrely possible.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 31st, 2016 12:00

Hello.

I suppose that you are using a PERC 6/i controller. The old HDDs are not seen because they do not have any association with the new Virtual Disk (VD) and they may appear in a foreign configuration. The best effort to access your data is to re-create a similar VD with same configuration parameters such as stripe size etc using the old HDDs. During this process, DO NOT INITIALIZE the array as it will lead to corruption and subsequent loss of your data. Using different configuration parameters will also lead to corruption of your data.

6 Posts

April 1st, 2016 04:00

Thank you Robert.

The controller is 6/iR. I guess I would have to follow same procedure when I want to slot the New Hard drives back to the server. Please, advise.

Regards.

Benjamin.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 1st, 2016 08:00

Unfortunately, the 6/iR does not support this approach because it does not provide options to whether or not initialize the array; the array is automatically initialized once created. Because of this, you risk corrupting and loosing your data on the drives. You could try on another server with PERC 6/i  controller or higher such as H700.

6 Posts

April 1st, 2016 10:00

Hi JW,

Thanks for your suggestion.

You said "Soo in POST.. catch the CTRL+c prompt. select the adapter- then raid properties". How do I do this please? At what point/screen? Do I have to boot the server with the Dell Management Tools and Documentation disk to be able to see the RAID properties?

Please, clarify for I'm not an expert in this server management.

Kind regards.

Benjamin.

6 Posts

April 1st, 2016 14:00

Hi JW,

I got it! Your suggestion worked, and it was really easy to do. I entered the Adapter properties via CTRL+C and CTRL+S while booting the server, just after the VD Inactive notification was displayed. From the Adapter RAID properties I was able to ENABLE the inactive Array. The system rebooted and my VD started working.

I guess I will repeat same procedure when I'm ready to slot back the new HDDs.

Thanks a million for this laudable suggestion. You've saved me a lot of trouble. Kudos!

Kind regards.

Benjamin.

No Events found!