Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 10th, 2018 22:00

PowerEdge R815 stuck on Idrac Initialization after BIOS update

Exact process I did:

Had dual Opteron 6134s on BIOS 3.1.1, booted to windows fine. (8x2GB sticks RAM)

From windows updated BIOS to 3.2.2 (newest)

rebooted when system prompted

system turned offed, began reboot

BIOS started, It read 3.2.2, I turned off system when it reached perc initialization and listing HDDs (my dumb mistake here I assume...)

pulled system power, installed quad 6234s, doubled RAM from 16GB to 32GB (16x2GB sticks)

System boots, memory config, starts idraac, then hangs. I admit I haven't waited longer than 2-3 min prob before testing reboots, clearing NVRAM, let it sit no power for a couple min, reseating control header.

It does have 1 bad stick of RAM in C2, however I got another server with same setup with 6212s and it still boots fine with 2 bad sticks or RAM (or more likely a bad RAM slot, thats another story). I don't think this changes anything with the boot issues.

If anyone can please help (much appreciated), my question is what is the main issue, and what are if any are my recovery options. I have no dell warranty its a secondhand used system

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2018 06:00

Suchamoneypit,

Could you confirm a couple things for me, first off is if you are seeing any errors or amber lights on the server?

If you remove the newly added dimms, and leave the original ones, are you seeing a change?

Lastly, what revision is the idrac currently at?

If you private message me the svc tag of the server i will have a better understanding of the hardware installed.

Let me know.

April 12th, 2018 19:00

I typed an entire in-depth reply and hit post and the website brought me to a login screen and deleted my entire post. **bleep**. this is a re-type but little more to the point

-Server still doesn't post on only 8 sticks of only good RAM (no change)

-Server sometimes enters a bootloop shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGOpp2nJAHw

(I replaced one stick of RAM so only 1 bad). Also you see here I never get to see Idrac version or get a svc tag (unless svc tag is on the server itself but Its all hardware I threw in after so it doesn't matter). I do have two identical systems (besides CPUs) on same BIOS that work fine, one using opteron 6380s, one using 6212s.

-Sometimes seconds after initializing idrac it just loses video signal

-initially it got past Idrac 2-3 times (before I made my post) but as soon as it started continuing the post process it would lose video signal and do nothing for 5+ minutes.

Again this exact system worked without issue running opteron 6134s and before a BIOS update, but like in my original post I fear rebooting too soon may have caused the issue here. The system either hangs on Idraac initialization or in post process video cuts and it never makes it to windows, or enters a bootloop initializing idrac.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 13th, 2018 11:00

Lets try draining the flea power (removing power cables, then hold power button for 20 seconds) after that then open the cover and locate the NVRAM CLR jumper, above the memory about an inch from the iDrac Enterprise port (you may reseat the iDrac card while there). 

Move that NVRam_CLR jumper over and then restore power and start the server to clear the NVRam. After you complete the process power back down, remove power cord, and then restore the jumper to its original location.  Then reinstall power cables and then you need to wait 2 minutes before starting the server. Power up and let me know what you see.

April 15th, 2018 15:00

My third time typing this message the first time I had the login issue and the second time I posted reply it showed the reply and it just logged in to check your reply and there was no post from me even though I typed it and saw it reply. Pretty annoying.

I tried all of your church troubleshooting steps including resesting the iDrac with 8 and 16 sticks of ram, the system hangs on configuring memory every single time now and never progresses past.

April 16th, 2018 19:00

I restored the system to dual opteron 6134s with 8 sticks of RAM, a last known good configuration. Same issue, hangs on configuring memory now and never posts. Im guessing my original concern is correct and I've ruined my BIOS by a stupid mistake (you live and learn, sometimes the hard way). Im guessing my only solution to this problem is a new motherboard? Anyone able to confirm that is the route I need to go to resolve this?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 17th, 2018 05:00

Sorry for the delay. One last thing to try, if you have the iDrac Enterprise you can reseat/remove the card if you haven't already. If that doesn't resolve then the resolution would be another motherboard. 

April 30th, 2018 06:00

I did try reseating the idraac, at least I think I did before, it didn't work. I purchased a new motherboard, swapped boards, and the system still hangs on configuring memory. I swapped the entire board. What else if there for me to try?

No Events found!