PowerEdge SC1435 Opteron 2300 Series Processor Upgrade

I've got two SC1435 servers. I purchased some Opteron 2300 series CPUs (two 2350s and two 2389s) I've tried both models in both servers and neither will boot. When I power on the server, I just get a blank screen and nothing ever happens. I've tried updating the bios on one of the servers, then resetting the NVRAM, but I got the same results.

The documentation says that these servers support the 2300 series, but no luck.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
16 Replies

Re: PowerEdge SC1435 Opteron 2300 Series Processor Upgrade

It looks like those model of processors should work. Do the servers seem to work fine with the original processor in? What processors came with the server?

Generally when you update the BIOS , it is a good idea to update the BMC also.

When you are installing the newer processors, are you trying one at a time? Or both at the same time?

When the processors are installed do any of the LED indicators come on?

Let us know what you find,

Thanks.

Daniel Covey
Dell EMC| Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter:@DellCaresPRO
Download our QRL app:iOS, Android, Windows
Dell Networking Resources

0 Kudos

I tried both processors at once, in matching pairs. I'll have to check on the LEDs. I've updated the BMC firmware, and I'll try again tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
trottig
1 Nickel

Hi,

i am not sure as i am researching the compatible processors as well atm but i think the SC1435 only supoorts Hypertransport 1 and the fastest processor compatible might be the 2384...

http://www.amd.com/us/products/server/processors/opteron/Pages/3rd-gen-server-model-numbers.aspx

But I'd love to hear whether you got the 2389 workingSmiley Happy

Regards,

Thomas

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
doofoo
1 Nickel

I have SC1435's running Opteron 2354's so I know that works.  I had to upgrade the firmware on my SC1435's to the most recent to get it working.

I'm now trying to figure out if the 8360 SE's will work on a Dell 6950 and no one has been able to answer that question yet..

0 Kudos
doofoo
1 Nickel

I verified today when I received my 8360 SE's (2.5Ghz Quad Core) work in my SC1435's with BMC and BIOS upgraded to most recent versions.

Please let us know if you get the 2389's working.

0 Kudos
trottig
1 Nickel

Both 8360s and 2354s are HT1 processors...

0 Kudos
doofoo
1 Nickel

Correct.  I was just saying so far all HT1's I've tried work.  I doubt HT3 processors in the same generation are going to work.

0 Kudos

I haven't been able to get it working.

0 Kudos
trottig
1 Nickel

According to Dell support there are two or more mainboard versions, one with HT1, one with HT3...  Call dell tech support - they might be able to check with the service tag...

0 Kudos