Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2013 20:00

PowerEdge T100 becomes unresponsive with side panel installed

I have a 3.5 year old T100 server with a Core E5700 CPU that has worked perfectly for until recently.  The problem is when the side panel is on, the server will be running but become unresponsive.  The problem can start from a few minutes to a few days after powering up the server.  The mouse moves but nothing else seems to be happening.  The OS is Windows 2008 R2 SP1 fully patched.  I'm thinking heat related.  When the side panel is on, the server runs nice and quiet and has the problem.  When I take the side panel off the server runs fine for weeks, no problem.  Of course it is very loud.

I replaced the CPU to heat sink thermal computer which had become hard and brittle.   The problem still is occurring. 

Anybody seen a similar issue and if yes did you solve it and how. 

• 

3.1K Posts

September 17th, 2013 22:00

Hey there,

As you have described of the troubleshooting, yes, seems to be a heat issue.

There is something to clarify to find out what is the root cause.

Till the next reboot, mind if you can enter to BIOS, (F2) > System Event Log > View Event Logs. Let me know sorted to the latest date, what were the errors.

At the front of the server, the front panel, there should be diagnostic LEDs, either labeled ABCD or 1234. Let me know which are lid, which are not.

No Events found!