Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2012 05:00

PowerEdge T100 with new Pci Express x1 Nvidia NVS 300 goes black after windows logo!

After working nights and nights on this I have came to the conclusion that the nvidia's apparently have problems with black screening after windows logo.  This is very frustrating but I would really like some help.  I want to get the Pci Express x1 NVS 300 video card to work in my T100 with Windows 7 x64 installed.  I installed the supplied driver and after restart it goes black after windows booting logo. I reboot into safemode and the video is working. I installed the latest NVidia drivers released in Feb 2012. I restart and it goes black. I go back into safemode and made sure windows aero features where off (they already were). I try a bunch more older version from Nvidia and it goes black. I switched a few irq's around in the bios and it goes black. I have no idea what these drivers are doing that causes a black screen but I can not figure it out. I have searched google a ton and a lot of things I tried came from reading other forum posts so I am hoping a Dell guy/gal will step in on this forum.  I have tried it with the vga adapter on my dell lcd monitor and the dvi adapter on my dell lcd monitor. I actually have two slightly different dell lcd monitors and both them have the same issue. I have the card in my pcix 1 slot and that is the only card installed on the motherboard. I have also tried the card in the x4 slot and it comes up but Windows marks it as having a hardware issue and disables the driver.  I just updated my bios to the newest one suggest on my Dell T100 support page which is PET100-010401C and that did not fix anything.

Can someone help me?

548 Posts

March 4th, 2012 06:00

As you know, the BIOS on your PE T100 does not allow your to disable the integrated ATI ES1000 video controller which means you will run into all sorts of issues. And no doubt you have seen the many posts on such topics with the many hit/miss outcomes.

In another posts you asked about removing the management card (which in some systems is a pci card laid flat on the motherboard and contains the ES1000 graphics amongst other functions). But there is no mention of such a card on the T100 hardware owners manual so it doesn't seem to have one to remove.

And the odd thing in the HOM is that on page 106 we see,

"Trouble Shooting Video Subsystem,
Action 2. Determine whether the system has an expansion card with a video output connector. In this system configuration, the monitor cable should normally be connected to the connector on the expansion card, not the system's integrated video connector.
To verify that the monitor is connected to the correct video connector, turn off the system and wait for 1 minute, then connect the monitor to the other video connector and turn the system on again".

Hardly a statement that clarifies much! I would expect that if the BIOS actually does not allow one to disable the integrated video, then there should be a clear statement that video expansion cards are not supported and that the system's integrated video connector should always be used.

My only suggestion is to try the NVS300 in the x8 PCIe slot and if that fails, try a cheap ATI based x16 PCIe consumer card of similar vintage to the ES1000 (but this would require cutting a slot on the card's connector to allow it to fit into the x8 slot). Again this may still have conflicts and fail to work so it's a suck it and see approach. A second hand ATI x16 PCIe card can be had for very little outlay (but always test it works in a desktop PC before your start to hack away).

548 Posts

March 4th, 2012 23:00

Yes its likely a Dell copy and past error was made in the T100 hardware owners manual which can only be an indication of poor quality control as the T100 does not support PCIe (expansion) graphics cards. The document in this form should have been peer reviewed and never seen the light of day.

I don't know if Dell is an ISO2000/2001 certified organization but they seem incapable of accepting fault feedback associated with their documentation. (Something i tried with their T610 documents via both their support and sales channels but was never left with the feeling that the feedback would ever be acted upon. And it was their documentation that lead me to purchase a product that didn't do what i expected without going outside the supported configurations via addition of a modified PCIe graphics card). They took no responsibility of the issue then and have yet to correct their documentation to date. This is not the mark of an ISO accredited organization (but are they ISO2000/2001 certified?).

Yes the management card is called DRAC but the T100 doesn't have one according to the HOM and spec docs i found on the Dell sight. Again i can't be sure this is actually a true reflection of what is located on the MB :)

1.2K Posts

March 4th, 2012 12:00

I think that paragraph is a copy and paste from a generic troubleshoouting document. The expansion card being talked about is a DRAC card.

March 5th, 2012 04:00

Thank you to everyone for your insights.  It would be nice if Dell would specify those issues and even weigh in on their support forum but I doubt I will get any responses from Dell.  I bet if I complained on twitter that Dell would pick up on it though, which is kind of sad.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 5th, 2012 08:00

"I bet if I complained on twitter that Dell would pick up on it though, which is kind of sad"

True.  You know why?  Because they have people employed to monitor and interact with their Twitter and Facebook pages.  The forums are a user-helping-user format - it always has been - and while there are a few Dell employees here in a largely moderator role, they do not monitor and participate here like they do on Twitter.

If you want Dell to respond, you will need to use an official channel ... call in.

August 13th, 2017 22:00

Have you found a solution?

August 14th, 2017 00:00

Have you found a solution? I've recently bought a used T100. The onboard is very bad. i running anything 3d game or graphical software. I'm thinking i stall a nvs300 too.

No Events found!