PC Dr
6 Indium

PowerEdge T105 -- failed bench build

Jump to solution

We're a nonprofit with very limited budget and we have a working PowerEdge T105 server. We'd like to protect it by acquiring a full set of spare parts. I bought a motherboard (0D682C), an AMD Opteron 1352 processor, a heatsink assembly (GP172), a processor fan (WP747), a front I/O control panel (GP461) and a power supply (L305P-01 NH493). I borrowed RAM from our working server. I connected a floppy drive, a SATA hard drive, a keyboard, a mouse, and a VGA screen (all known good parts), and put it together on the bench without a case.

It turns on but won't boot up. That is, the power light turns green (but the four front panel lights in the GP461 I/O panel never turn on and off), the processor fan spins, the hard disk powers on and nothing else happens. I ordered another processor but it didn't help.

Our production server has a motherboard part number of 0P957K, which is different from the 0D682C that I purchased. Could this be the problem? (The Opteron fits correctly into the 0D682C.)

The memory is known good and I've tried another power supply to no avail. The floppy is never accessed. There is never any display on the VGA screen.

Before I purchase another motherboard, is there anything else to try? Could the PowerEdge require its case to start up correctly?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

regards, AndyA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

RE: PowerEdge T105 -- failed bench build

Jump to solution

The only requirements is the devices listed above, if the system doesn't come up under that configuration then it is something regarding on of those specific devices.

With the diagnostic lights being out it is either the computer is in a normal off condition, or a possible pre-BIOS failure has occurred.

The Opteron 1352 does show as supported, but do you have the specific part number for it?

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jump to solution

PC Dr,

Likely that is the issue. The D682C board is the original 1st version motherboard released, where the P957K is the 3rd version released.

What I would suggest is first verifying that you have the following devices in the server, as they are the minimum required hardware for the server to POST.

System board

Processor (with heatsink)

One stick of memory in slot 1

1 power supply

Control panel (to turn on system)

If the server fails to start with those devices installed then likely there is a piece of hardware that requires the newer version of the motherboard.

Let me know what you see.

Chris Hawk

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
PC Dr
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Hello, Chris,

Thanks for your rapid response!

I have the all the required parts on the bench: system board (D682C), processor (Opteron 1352), heatsink (GP172), one stick of 2 GB PC2-6400 unbuffered ECC RAM in slot 1, power supply (NH493) and front control panel (GP461).

I have one system board on hand, three Opteron 1352 processors, one heatsink (excellent fit to the processor with thermal paste duly applied to the processor only), two sticks of RAM from the production server, two power supplies, and one control panel.

When the power supply is plugged in, the system should boot up. It indeed powers up but the floppy is never accessed and there is nothing at all ever displayed on the screen. If I depress the power button for six seconds, the system shuts down. When I restart, the power light turns green but the other status lights never light up and the boot never starts.

I thought it might be a bad processor, so I bought another one (in fact, the third one) -- it made no difference.

I shorted the NVRAM_CLR pins (with the system off) and I removed the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. This had no effect.

Before I buy another motherboard, I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious. (I'm skilled at building PCs, but I admit I have never before built a PowerEdge T105.)

IAC, I don't understand why an older version of the motherboard wouldn't start with the "right" processor and RAM. Did the processor specs change between the D682C and the later P957K? Did the memory specs change?

Did I leave out something? Is there something that needs to be grounded?

regards, AndyA

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The only requirements is the devices listed above, if the system doesn't come up under that configuration then it is something regarding on of those specific devices.

With the diagnostic lights being out it is either the computer is in a normal off condition, or a possible pre-BIOS failure has occurred.

The Opteron 1352 does show as supported, but do you have the specific part number for it?

Chris Hawk

0 Kudos
PC Dr
6 Indium

Jump to solution

You said:

if the system doesn't come up under that configuration then it is something regarding on of those specific devices

Thanks for your clarification. Indeed, it was the motherboard, which was defective. I purchased another one from a different source and the startup was uneventful. The parts have now been vetted on the bench and will be used to prolong the life of our server.

regards, AndyA

0 Kudos