Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2015 21:00

PowerEdge T110-II - 4TB Hard drive

I have a PowerEdge T110-II server running VMware ESXi 5.5.  I have added a 4TB SATA drive.  The BIOS does not recognize the drive.  It is not being identified under the SATA settings.  I have tried changing the boot option from BIOS to UEFI and it still does not identify properly.  I have BIOS version 2.0.5 installed.  I have found anything in the BIOS release notes that indicates that I need to update to 2.0.7.  Any ideas?

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 11th, 2015 09:00

Are your drives connected directly to the motherboard? If so, is RAID enabled (S100)? Is it in AHCI mode? If RAID is enabled, you probably can't use a disk larger than 2TB. If it is not enabled and AHCI is, you may need to update the chipset controller drivers from Intel to use disks larger than 2TB.

Changing to UEFI will not help in recognizing disks larger than 2TB.

4 Posts

May 11th, 2015 10:00

Yeah, my drives are directly connected to the motherboard and I am not using RAID.  I will have to check on AHCI mode.  I am not sure.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 11th, 2015 14:00

Check AHCI. If it is not on, the legacy mode may not support disks larger than 2TB. I would "think" the C202 would support disks larger than 2TB in AHCI mode, but even if it does, you will likely need to update your chipset/IRST drivers for it.

4 Posts

May 12th, 2015 17:00

AHCI is on.  I upgraded the BIOS to version 2.8.0, but that didn't help.  I doubt a driver update will help since I can't even see the drive in the system setup.  I am running VMWare ESXi 5.5 on this machine, and I have not found anything regarding driver updates for the chipset.

No Events found!