Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 16th, 2014 13:00

PowerEdge T110ii Memory upgrade, disaster.

Hello,

I need some assistance, I recently made a purchase of some memory to upgrade my PowerEdge T110II. Unfortunately, the person I bought my new memory from didn't add the correct details on the item listing and I had neglected to check the internet to make sure that I was making the right choice.

When I received the modules, I installed them and powered up my server and found that the diagnostic lights were being highlighted. It went to a 1-3 and to a static 1. I read the manual and found that the static 1 light was to indicate that no memory was being detected. 

The 3x modules are 8GB 1gx72 DDR PC3 10600 - I've had a quick read and found that these were registered modules which is a bummer due to my PowerEdge T110II only supporting Unbuffered Memory Modules.

I have no problems upgrading the server if needs be (within reason) I was originally planning to upgrade over the next few months.

Now I've read that if I upgraded the CPU to an Xeon then this would probably overcome my issue...now before I do something drastic like buying a new processor, I just wanted to confirm with this community that this is correct?

My current CPU is a Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G620 @ 2.60GHz.

If any information is required, please ask and I will gladly assist.
Thank you for your assistance. :emotion-1:

Kindest Regards,

Tim L J

• 

6.2K Posts

November 16th, 2014 15:00

Hello

In short no, the T110 II does not support RDIMMs.

Starting with our 11th generation servers the memory controller was moved from the system board to the CPU on Intel systems. AMD systems have had the memory controllers on the CPU since we started offering them in our 10th generation systems.

There are no Xeon processors supported by the T110 II system board that support RDIMMs.

Thanks

2 Posts

November 17th, 2014 05:00

So this has been rectified in later boards then could this be resolved by simply getting a 11th PowerEdge T110ii system board?

• 

6.2K Posts

November 19th, 2014 09:00

So this has been rectified in later boards then could this be resolved by simply getting a 11th PowerEdge T110ii system board?

No, the T110/II does not support RDIMMs. There is no system board for the T110 that supports a CPU that supports RDIMMs.

1 Message

September 23rd, 2015 00:00

The T110/II we have has a Xeon X3450 which supports RDIMMS. Although I am yet to test if the motherboard in the T110/II will!

No Events found!