Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2017 14:00

PowerEdge T20 no boot without monitor

Hello, I have Windows Server 2016 on PowerEdge T20. Server does not boot with disconnected monitor. If monitor is connected (turned on and even off), booting is OK. Any tip where is a problem?

Thank you

4 Posts

August 11th, 2017 05:00

Hello.

Thank you for your help. Problem was in the BIOS option. If you want to boot without a monitor, you must enable Legacy Option ROMs. I don't know why, but it solved problem.

• 

6.2K Posts

July 31st, 2017 11:00

Hello

Have you added any unsupported hardware to the server? The system should boot fine without a monitor, but if you have added hardware to the system that is not validated we can't be certain of how it will function.

I would suggest making sure the BIOS and firmware is up to date throughout the system.

Thanks

4 Posts

August 1st, 2017 12:00

Hello.

I didn´t add any hardware. I flashed the BIOS to version A12. I installed the Windows server from DELL DVD, changed BIOS mode to UEFI, deleted RAID 5. I didn´t find any graphic card option in the BIOS. I tried to change boot option "Base video". Without any change. Do you have any other idea?

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

August 1st, 2017 14:00

Without knowing what it is stopping on it is difficult to troubleshoot. I'm not aware of any BIOS option that will cause the system to stop POST or boot if a monitor is not connected. I suspect it is an issue with the OS.

You can try disabling SERR under the maintenance section in the BIOS. That will disable server error messages. It is possible that an error message is occurring and stopping POST/boot.

If that does not resolve the issue then make sure the video and chipset drivers are up to date in the OS.

Thanks

4 Posts

August 4th, 2017 06:00

Hello.

I disabled SERR, I installed chipset drivers updates and it didn´t fix a problem. I tried enable boot logging in the OS and there was no record. How can I identify if the OS began booting or no?

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

August 4th, 2017 09:00

How can I identify if the OS began booting or no?

I'm not sure, there are a few things you can do without video to get an idea of what is going on. If your keyboard is functional then POST is partially completing. So, if you can hit caps lock, num lock, or any other button on the keyboard that has a light indicator and the light changes then it is at least partially completing POST. That still does not rule out it being the system BIOS that is halting the boot process though.

Some configurations of the T20 support Intel Active Management Technology. This allows for out-of-band management. I haven't used Intel AMT, but you may be able to get more information by using it if your configuration supports it. You can find some information in the manual, but you will likely need to review Intel's website for more detailed information on Intel AMT:

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-t20/manuals

Thanks

No Events found!