Highlighted
2 Bronze

PowerEdge T30's BIOS problem

Jump to solution

I just bought a PowerEdge T30,and add a M2 SSD (SAMSUNG 960 EVO).

The BIOS Version from the factory is 1.0.0.When I Update the BIOS from 1.0.0 to 1.0.2,Everything is ok.

When I Update the BIOS from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 ,Sytem can not reboot.

I Found there is no M2 Slot Displayed in the BIOS,and no M2 SSD Displayed also.

When I Update the BIOS from 1.0.2 to 1.0.5 ,the problem remains unsolved.

Dell 's Support Page says: The BIOS 1.0.3 Fixes:Address a problem where SETUP MENU appears non exist M.2 device.

Why did I have the opposite problem when I upgraded the system BIOS?

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: PowerEdge T30's BIOS problem

Jump to solution

I am using T30 as a desktop with Win 10, for me sleep mode is very important, it was removed in 1.0.2, I am going to downgrade to 1.0.0 and get Sleep and M.2. Hopefully there is nothing important for me in the latest versions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I too would like to have a link to that version. Appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Check your accounts for friend request. Dell's system doesn't allow PMs unless we are friends. Once accepts, I'll send the link.

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution
45 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello.

This is a little strange. When you enter the BIOS setup, are all integrated devices enabled? Otherwise, reset the NVRAM_CLR jumper inside your system and restore the BIOS to the default settings. See the System board jumper setting section. See Users' Guide: http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-t30_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf 

Robert Alakara

Dell EMC | Enterprise Services

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

It appears that Dell intentionally removed M2 NVMe support from the bios beginning with bios version 1.0.3.

Why did they do that? So now we have to hack bios version 1.0.5 to get M2 NVMe support?

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Yes,I agree with you.I'm sure Dell has removed M2 Support from the new bios。

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I‘m Restore the BIOS /  Clear the CMOS / Remove the SSD / Reinstall the SSD .But the BIOS Summary can not display any M2 information .

Please note that “BIOS  CAN NOT DISPLAY”。It means The “M2 Slot = XXXXXX” option disappeared.

If I Downgrade the bios to Ver.1.0.2,everything is OK.

It looks like that DELL Remove the SSD Support from the new BIOS.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Is anyone from Dell going to confirm or deny that Dell removed support for M2 NVMe from the PE T30 BIOS beginning with version 1.0.3?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Yes, support for M.2 NVMe was removed in BIOS revision 1.0.3 and subsequent releases will neither support. However, earlier revisions still do support it.

Robert Alakara

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Your first sentence needs clarification, since "will support either" is unclear at best. Are you saying subsequent releases (you must mean after 1.0.5) WILL or WILL NOT support it?

For anyone looking, this works:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_h4shzb8HX8VBP

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Your first sentence needs clarification, since "will support either" is unclear at best. Are you saying subsequent releases (you must mean after 1.0.5) WILL or WILL NOT support it?

Will neither support M.2 NVME in subsequent BIOS release.

Thank you.

Robert Alakara

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

If you compare the PowerEdge T30 motherboard to the Precision 3620 motherboard, it looks like they are identical, and on the 3620 the M.2 slot is listed as a feature. If you compare the specs (chipset, nic, CPU support, memory support, PCIe slots, etc), they also look identical (other than the M.2 slot).

Some Dell PowerEdge systems were sold as OEM and the bios would be flashable back to the generic Dell equivalent.

There may be a way to reflash the T30 to a Precision, which could enable the M.2 slot again.

I don't have access to partnumbers of the motherboards to confirm this.

NOTE: This would be at your own risk, as I'm not sure support/warranty would cover reflashing the unit to a bios from another system type.

Member since 2003

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

If you compare the PowerEdge T30 motherboard to the Precision 3620 motherboard, it looks like they are identical, and on the 3620 the M.2 slot is listed as a feature. If you compare the specs (chipset, nic, CPU support, memory support, PCIe slots, etc), they also look identical (other than the M.2 slot).

Some Dell PowerEdge systems were sold as OEM and the bios would be flashable back to the generic Dell equivalent.

There may be a way to reflash the T30 to a Precision, which could enable the M.2 slot again.

I don't have access to partnumbers of the motherboards to confirm this.

NOTE: This would be at your own risk, as I'm not sure support/warranty would cover reflashing the unit to a bios from another system type.

I just flashed my T30 back to 1.0.2 and can see the m.2 slot again. I am in the process of building-out this server and have not decided on its final hardware bill so at least this slot will be available if I need it. Thanks for the insight though.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Why would Dell no longer support an important feature on their motherboards?  This makes no sense at all.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Wow. This is quite disappointing. Just started provisioning my server and came across this thread. Makes me concerned that they're not really going to support it properly over time. Perhaps it was just "easier" for them to remove a feature and move on. I'd hate to think there's a feature I need that gets nuked later on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Dell,

This is totally unacceptable.  I just ordered two T30's and now they will be going back to Dell unopened.

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Robert,

Can you please respond as to WHY a feature that is built into the system is being removed on purpose?  

As the board is the same used in a Dell Precision model where the M.2 is supported, why would Dell purposely remove a feature that is known to work and is actually a modern, current, high-performance option for any PC to support?

How about bringing back the M.2 slot and get rid of those 30 year old PS/2 connectors on the back.  Seriously, who uses PS/2 keyboards and mice???  Junk.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I am using T30 as a desktop with Win 10, for me sleep mode is very important, it was removed in 1.0.2, I am going to downgrade to 1.0.0 and get Sleep and M.2. Hopefully there is nothing important for me in the latest versions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

This is really bad. Doesn't look like a server-class hardware anymore. Please review this decision. I can't be so costly to add back a feature that was already in place.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I read that the 1.0.5 BIOS brings a fix to the security flaw in the Intel Remote Management. I imagine that if this is an internal server with no connection to the internet, this is not a security risk. If you are connecting to sites like PLEX that have some other known security risks, you may be susceptible to invasion. However unlikely this is, it is worth knowing.

I am on the fence about the m.2 slot and running off USB3 for the time being. There is an obvious gap in performance, but I am unsure it will be perceivable in my application. Fortunately, one can downfrade the BIOS if there is a need for an even faster drive interface.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I found a poster on Reddit that stated the BIOS firmware 1.0.5 added the security fix and then it was retained after downgradig to 1.0.2 due to some complexities of the way this aspect of the bios was managed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I found a poster on Reddit that stated the BIOS firmware 1.0.5 added the security fix and then it was retained after downgradig to 1.0.2 due to some complexities of the way this aspect of the bios was managed.

I can confirm that. I have installed 1.0.6 and then downgraded to 1.0.0, because I need m.2 and sleep modes. After downgrade Intel security fix is still there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Dell pulled the older BIOS files off their site. Anyone have a link to the 1.0.0 as I need the sleep function working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

That's not normal. I hope it's an oversight rather than a trend.

For anyone not forced to use old BIOS because of m.2, v1.0.11 just came out for an important Intel ME update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I also would like a link to either 1.0.0 or 1.0.2.  Feel free to message me if you can't post a link.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have 1.0.2, I'll send you a link tomorrow.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

can you send me the link for 1.0.2? all internet archives are down and i would like this update or a mirror to it that works. thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Has anyone used a recent bios with one of the cheap m.2 adapter cards that plus into a pci express expansion slot?  If so, does that appear in the bios as a bootable drive?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Apologies for posting on an old thread, but did you ever get to try an m2 adaptor with the new bios? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Can you share the link to me as well. Help is appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I too would like to have a link to that version. Appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Can you send me a link to the 1.0 bios?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I would like a link also.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Can you send me the 1.0.2 bios?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Check your accounts for friend request. Dell's system doesn't allow PMs unless we are friends. Once accepts, I'll send the link.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks!  Does the 1.02 allow sleep - or do I need 1.00 for that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Just post a link in the forum. Otherwise, endless requests.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

This has the 1.0 bios.

web.archive.org/web/20170606161622/downloads.dell.com/.../poweredge-t30.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi

I have the same problem with my new T30.
The system came with 1.0.6 BIOS version and I would like to downgrade to 1.0.2 version.
Unfortunately there are no previous versions on the DELL site (the last version is 1.0.11 - www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=XWYMK ).
Is someone who can help me with the BIOS version 1.0.2 for PowerEdge T30?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Are you serious?  Look up.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Sorry... For some reason my Microsoft Edge not load pagination of this thread. Just only first page.

Now I see complete thread.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

can you send me the bios version of 1.0.0 or 1.0.1?   thank you very much. I really need it .  my

email<Email id removed>

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

The webarchive link above has 1.0, but just curious, why do you want it?  1.02 still had what you're probably looking for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

because  i need sleep mode.PLs,send me a copy if you have. thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

It's here in this thread where I had mentioned, no more than a few posts up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just purchased a T30 for my office and I ran into this thread.. I am debating between upgrading the HD with a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD or the Sata3 version... Is this downgrade of the Bios a problematic one... Can I upgrade the bios and then downgrade to bios version of 1.0.0 ............. The speed difference is huge between Sata 3 and MVMe and the price difference on the drives is not much.... Looking for some advice.. This is a Data server... 

0 Kudos