Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2013 05:00

PowerEdge T300 Randomly Rebooting

Hi Everyone

My Dell T300 (w/ Windows 2008 Server) is acting very weird, the problem started 2 weeks ago and every couple days or every other day the server all of the sudden it reboots. This server normally during POST the fans speed up really high for few seconds and slow down to normal speed, but whenever the server has a sudden reboot, it stay stuck at the fan high speed for couple minutes with nothing on the screen, then it proceed to POST and everything goes back to normal, but last weekend the server got stuck on high speed fan for 2 days, nothing on the screen, had to pull the plug, and plug it again to work. I have looked into windows log and has absolutely no information why it's rebooting, only thing it says, the server had an unexpected shutdown, that's all. I ran all the hardware diagnostic tools provided on Dell server CD and everything passed with no problem. What could it be the problem??? Power supply maybe??? Thank you.

990 Posts

March 4th, 2013 06:00

Good morning, Daniel.

I have sent you an email requesting a DSET report from the server to further assist you.  Let me know when the report has been uploaded.

Regards,

March 5th, 2013 07:00

Geoff,

Per your request, i have uploaded the report file to the dropbox provided.

FYI
When I was generating the report, on the 4th stage of the report generation, the server rebooted,  and the server kept on the following loop several times,

power supply clicking noise 3 times then fan speed up for 2 seconds and goes off, light on power button goes off and on. 

It was like the server got stuck on a loop boot attempt.

Whenever the server rebooted I wasn't around, except once, and report from the office manager was that the fan kept going for few minutes like I explained before, but  this is the first time I've seen doing it this way, and after several times on this loop it actually proceeded to normal post and boot, then I ran the DSET again and it completed the report generation without failure.

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

1 Message

September 18th, 2013 09:00

Daniel,

Did you find out what was causing this?  My T300 has started doing this.  I updated firmware and drivers, etc... but still reboots periodically.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Helmut

September 18th, 2013 09:00

Yes, it was actually a bad power supply. 

Coincidentally , when i order the first power supply it came defective and it was doing the same thing. It was driving me nuts.. So after going round and round trying to figure it out, I ordered another power supply from another supplier, and that fixed my problem. Haven't had a single problem ever since. 

I hope this may help you. 

Good luck. 

Daniel

No Events found!