Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2013 18:00

PowerEdge T605 rebuild memory issue

rebuilding our t605, installing Windows server 2012, upgrading from 8GB of ram to 16GB.  Server would not boot, added back the original 8Gb, server boots, but BIOS only recognizes 8Gb, OS shows 24Gb installed 7.99 available.

OEM replacement memory modules, system specific, hardware and software compatible.  Bios is up to date with latest version, all drivers updated...I am on my way to get a bigger hammer, unless there is something I am missing somewhere...any thoughts???

• 

6.2K Posts

September 28th, 2013 10:00

Hello mototeddy

Please provide the part numbers, model, or specifications of the memory you are adding. Also, please let me know the slots you are putting them in, and if you are keeping your old memory in the server provide the same information for those DIMMS please.

Thanks

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the delay and thank you for the quick reply.  The new memory modules are part # SNPJK002CK2/8G (2 pairs of 4G modules).  They were purchased through Dell as a certified memory upgrade kit (2 matched pair).  Slots are A1-A2 and B1-B2.

The only way to boot the server is to keep the old memory also installed (then the fan sounds like a jet plane and BIOS only reads the old memory...although the OS reads all of it).

The old memory modules are NANYA # NT2GT72U4NB0BV-3C, currently installed in A3-A4, B3-B4.

Looking at every manual I can find, and multiple calls to Dell (as it is all their equipment we have purchased through them directly), the modules are all correct and in the proper slots.  I have the most current BIOS installed, have run through update after update, and it still sounds like it's going to blow up and only shows the 8G of RAM.  

Thanks for your assistance.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 11:00

I can't find a compatibility issue. It looks like you have everything installed correctly, and it appears all of your DIMM slots are functional since the 8GB of memory is detected and functional when installed in slots 1,2 and 3,4. The issue appears to be directly related to the new memory.

Regarding the fan speed, that will not likely change when the memory is operational. The BIOS is programmed to run the fans at a minimum RPM based on configuration. When all memory slots are populated the fans will run at higher RPM, this is normal.

I suspect the reason the new memory is detected but not functional is because one DIMM is failed. Since the DIMMs have to be installed in pairs and both lanes must match, a single DIMM will cause all of the new DIMMs to be disabled.

I would suggest testing the new DIMMs one at a time in slot 1 to find out which ones are good and which are bad.

Thanks

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 12:00

I had previously tried each one.  One at a time and 3 out of 4 wouldn't even try to boot.  The 4th appeared it was going to boot, then after about 60 seconds showed the no memory error the same as the others.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 13:00

As unlikely as it sounds it would appear you have 4 bad DIMMs. I cannot think of another reason they would not work. Did support replace any of them yet?

6 Posts

We have a Dell T605 dual quad core AMD Opteron 2350 processors.

It has had me shaking my head for a week.

• 

6.2K Posts

Everything looks good. They should work. Before you replace them again I would recommend clearing the hardware, memory log, and NVRAM.

You will need OpenManage Server Administrator installed to clear memory logs. Once it is installed browse to the directory containing dcicfg32.exe in a command line application. It should be in the bin folder in one of these installation paths:

c:\program files\dell\openmanage\omsa\bin\
c:\program files\dell\sysmgt\omsa\bin\

After you change directory(CD) to the correct file location type this command: dcicfg32 command=clearmemfailures

Then go into OMSA and clear the hardware/system event log.

Then clear NVRAM via jumper. Disconnect power, move NVRAM jumper to CLR, power on server for about 2 minutes, power off, disconnect power, move jumper back, and then power it back on and test.

That's the last recommendation I have before replacing the memory again.

Thanks

6 Posts

Believe it or not..this is the second set.  But if there is nothing else that may prevent this from working..I will have them replaced again.  

• 

6.2K Posts

This doesn't make any sense. Please give me the model of your CPU.

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 08:00

Hi Daniel,

I did all of the above, with no change.  I did notice one error, that I maybe have been missing, the BMC communication error, plus I noticed a the embeded NIC seems to have an issue.  I'm not sire if these would contribute or not.

Here is what I know so far other than above: the OS, and OMSA both see all of the memory, they report 24G, with only 7.99 useable.  The BIOS only shows 8G.  This is a replacement for the first set of memory we received (I was not involved in the testing of the original DIMMS...I have taken over after a series of issues).  It seems odd that 8 DIMMs would be bad, at the same time the OS and OMSA reading them makes me think it is something other than bad modules.  

However, if you think it is still possible they are bad I will have customer support replace them again.

If that is the next step, would you suggest this last procedure before trying to install the next set?...or just simply attempt to pop them in as it should be??

I Truly appreciate your assistance on this one, it has made me absolutely insane, checking and rechecking to the point I had second guessed all of the research I had done making sure it was all compatible. 

• 

6.2K Posts

October 12th, 2013 14:00

Sorry for the late response, I overlooked your reply.

If that is the next step, would you suggest this last procedure before trying to install the next set?...or just simply attempt to pop them in as it should be??

No, just replace them.

the OS and OMSA reading them makes me think it is something other than bad modules.  

If they are detected but not used then they are being disabled. DIMMs are typically disabled because of compatibility or slot population issues. Everything I can find shows they are compatible, and they appear to be populated correctly. The only other possibility I can think of is that they are not fully functional.

Thanks

1 Message

December 1st, 2014 07:00

I realize this is an old post, but was wondering if there was a resolution to this.  I am having the identical problem with my T605 - BIOS reports 8 GIG, OS reports all 16Gig installed but only 7.99 usable. 

Have verified the RAM, it is all functional - no bad dims.  BIOS is v3.1.2

Thanks.

No Events found!