Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2014 15:00

PowerEdge T610 Fails to boot

My PowerEdge T610 has stopped booting this morning. It now runs in a continual cycle of trying to boot for about 1-3 seconds then it appears to crash. After being off for a few seconds it trys to boot again and crashes again after a couple seconds. 

Basically all the lights on the front flash on and the LCD screen says "System Booting..." and then it all crashes within the first couple seconds of the fan revving up. I get nothing on my monitor screen to even show me it is trying to start into BIOS. 

Any ideas or directions you could point me in would be much appreciated. 

• 

8.5K Posts

August 29th, 2014 16:00

Hi wolfmountain1,

The first thing to try would be to disconnect all external devices except the monitor. If that doesn’t work try the power supplies one at a time. Next would be to disconnect the backplane so the hard drives are not connected. If that doesn’t resolve it try to remove any PCIe cards and see if that works. The step after that is to go to one memory stick per processor.

August 29th, 2014 17:00

I only have one power supply in the system so I was not able to test them separately. 

I disconnected everything but monitor and got the same results: couple seconds and crash with nothing on my monitor

I then pulled all the hard drives out to test without them. While that didn't allow a boot without crash it did allow me to see a couple things on the monitor before it crashed. I was able to see "configuring memory please wait" and then the Dell screen showed up with my bios info and the bar that moves across the bottom. At that screen it loaded the first 3/4" of the bar and then crashes every time and restarts. It will pretty consistently get to the Dell screen with the HD's out but still crash right at the beginning of the loading bar. 

I then removed my only PCI card and tested it without that and got no different results than above. 

I also am down to one GB of memory per processor with no different results than above. 

As I read back to what you said i realized you wanted me to actually unplug that backplane not just pull hard drives so I pulled the SAS A and B plugs and power and got the following error messages:

"System Board 5V PG: Voltage sensor for System Board. state asserted was asserted"

"System Board PFault Fail Safe: Voltage sensor for System Board. state asserted was asserted" 

I then reattached the power and tested. The first 3 times it attempted to boot it only lasted for a few seconds. then on the 4th and consecutive times I got back up to the dell screen and only the first bit before it kept crashing and restarting. 

Any thoughts from All that?

• 

8.5K Posts

August 29th, 2014 17:00

The system board voltage errors are consistent with a reboot loop like this. Since we have eliminated most of the other hardware that is probably the issue and would need to be replaced.

August 29th, 2014 18:00

Are the errors what make you think the system board is bad? I was wondering b/c I don't get the errors once I plug the power back into the backplane. 

I'd just like to make sure I'm not missing anything I could test before I go for a big repair like the system board. 

Thank you for your help. 

• 

8.5K Posts

August 29th, 2014 18:00

Just that coupled with the reboots. If it isn’t happening with it plugged in, it could be just because it was unplugged. We can try some other things. One CPU at a time, a different pair of DIMMs. You could try to reset the NVRAM on the motherboard with the jumper. Page 179 ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-t610_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

August 29th, 2014 21:00

Ok, after some more testing I am inclined to agree that it is probably the motherboard. I've started looking for a replacement and am wandering if you had any suggestions on somewhere to fine one easily?

Thank you again for all your help.

• 

8.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2014 09:00

If you have a sales rep you could contact them, or try our spare parts department at 800-357-3355.

September 3rd, 2014 15:00

Thank you for your help. I wanted to update in case it could help someone else in the future. 

If I had been able to completely do all the tests in your first suggestions I would have figure out it was my power supply. I had a tech from the company I order parts from tell me he thought it was the power supply from the results I was getting and we agreed that trying a new power supply was a much better cost effective test than a whole new mother board right off the bat. So new power supply in the server this afternoon and it boots right back up like normal :) 

Thanks again. 

No Events found!