Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 1st, 2013 19:00

PowerEdge T620 Intel Gigabit 2P I350 NIC just stops working - Ideas?

Several times in the past 4 days, one NIC I am using (of the two) on the Windows 2012 machine has just stopped working.  The NIC indicator lights are off.  I've tried unplugging/replugging the Cat-6 cable, different switches, etc, but it won't come alive without a reboot.  Any suggestions?  Nothing special going on the NIC.  I've turned off the any of the "power saving" options, but it has all the factory set defaults otherwise.  Server has been working fine for the prior 2 months otherwise.

990 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 09:00

If you have another server, move the NIC and test to see if you get the same results. Let us know the results and we can proceed from there.

Regards,

April 2nd, 2013 16:00

Prior to rebooting, I applied the BIOS update and then Teamed the NIC up with the 2nd one so I would have some redundancy and all has been well for the past 10 hours.    In regards to what caused, this, this is the only thing in the event log:  

Intel(R) Gigabit 2P I350-t LOM

Network link is disconnected.

1 Message

April 9th, 2013 13:00

Hi Robert,

Just wondering if you were able to resolve your issue by updating the BIOS and teaming the NIC.

We have the same server and same NIC adapter as you do, and am wondering if we will experience the same problem.  What were the symptoms?  Did the server disappear from the network, or just not respond to certain requests?

We are currently not using NIC Teaming and wanted to know whether you can say with any certainty that this was a factor is the problem.  I.e. That the BIOS update alone solved your issue.

I hope it all works out!

Regards,

Diane

183 Posts

April 12th, 2013 09:00

Does the T620 have an NDC (network daughter card)?

I have not see it in our R620s but maybe it is coming loose?

I have seen something similar on R610s with the add on idrac6 card. Sometimes the idrac6 wouldn't see its own nic.

December 21st, 2013 19:00

Problem has re-emerged.  After not happening for 8 months it came back over the weekend.  Still using NIC teaming and have just applied the latest BIOS and Intel(R) Gigabit 2P I350-t LOM firmware.  One of the NICs just stops working and only a reboot will get it back up.  It will then operate for an hour or 2 and then "disconnect".  For now, the NIC teaming is saving my bacon.

Update on 12/24/13:

I did a cold restart rather than than a warm restart and that at least solves the disconnect issue.  I did so last night and both NICs are still up and running 18 hours later.  Not a great solution, but a solution none the less.  

5 Posts

January 8th, 2014 09:00

ever find a solution to this? I am having the exact same issue on a windows 2008 r2  T620 server with regards to the Gigabit 2P I350-t LOM NIC. not teaming, configuring either NIC will not allow the gateway to be reachable. Destination net reachable errors during a ping to the gateway.

5 Posts

January 28th, 2014 07:00

Same problem here.  The NIC #1 (Gigabit 2P I350-t LOM) just randomly disconnects as if someone unplugged the cable, and stays disconnected until you disable / re-enable the adapter or reboot.  Unplugging and re-plugging does nothing.

March 12th, 2014 09:00

Just received new T620 server that I'm setting up for a client and I'm seeing the exact same symptoms here.  Everything is working, then spontaneously system things the Ethernet cable is unplugged (it is not).  Unplugging cable and plugging it back in does nothing.  Disabling/Enabling the adapter fixes the problem temporarily.  I turned off all power saving functions (thinking maybe adapter was going to sleep and couldn't properly wake up), but that did not appear to help. 

Hey Dell, this is a REAL problem that needs to be addressed.  Posts here have gone unanswered for a LONG time.

5 Posts

March 12th, 2014 10:00

I have reached out to my Dell contractor at my place of employment. he has forwarded this onto Dell and should be getting an AE involved for resolution, or at least some answers.

990 Posts

March 12th, 2014 15:00

All,

We have reviewed the details from these posts and we can empathize that the port is disappearing on these Intel i350 2P cards and on the T620.   In the meantime, it was suggested that the servers be completely updated along with the firmware on the cards.  We have no ongoing issues or cases that have been reviewed.  If anyone would like to submit a DSET report , I would be more than happy to review it.  The report would need to be done when the port has dropped for it to be very beneficial  With minimal details, its hard to make a resolution in a forum situation.  

Regards,

March 14th, 2014 14:00

I'm posting to my own post in hopes that it will help someone else solve this problem quicker.  I downloaded and installed network drivers/firmware (V15.0.28) from Dell's support page and so far it hasn't disconnected again in several days.

626 Posts

April 14th, 2014 20:00

The EEE (Energy Efficient Ethernet) setting is probably associated with this problem.

Firmware version 15.0.28 shouldn't have the problem.  But you must run the firmware update to 15.0.28 in Windows or Linux.  You'll need to run the firmware update once in the OS and it will say something about an EEPROM size change and it tells you to reboot.  Do the reboot.  After that, run it again and the update will be complete.  Then shutdown the system, remove AC power, let power drain from server, then reinsert the power cable, and power on the system.  You'll be good to go after that.

The following appears in the Important Information for firmware version 15.0.28:

===================================================

After updating the firmware using the Lifecycle Controller or running the Firmware Update Package, the system must be completely powered down (A/C power removed) and restarted for all changes to take effect.

Known Issues:
============
1. On the T620 LOMs, this firmware update must be applied from within a supported operating system twice. On the T620 LOMs, this firmware update does not work properly from Lifecycle Controller or iDRAC.

===================================================

Also, I recommend updating the drivers to the latest versions available on support.dell.com.

No Events found!