Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 25th, 2017 15:00

PowerEdge T710 Intrusion Detection not Clearing, Failed System Board Battery Replaced and Still Failed

Hey people, I am having a number of issues with my Dell PowerEdge T710, recently I have been getting error messages on my iDRAC6 (enterprise) dashboard that the system board batty has failed. I attempted to replace the battery with a fresh new one and it didnt help, so for the heck of it I checked the old battery using my multi-meter and determined that it had 3.08 volts - well within the spec. I checked the new battery too and that read 3.20 volts - also within the spec. So I inspected the contacts and they appear to be contacting properly and the battery is installed correctly (+ side face up).

So I left that alone and have not had any issues aside from the annoying X mark on the iDRAC dashboard.

Yesterday I took the server offline in order to install new RAM (2 sticks of 16gb) and all went well until I reconnected the server and noticed that the fans were running at full blast. Fast-forward all my troubleshooting and I discovered that for some reason the system is now identifying that the chassis is open despite being closed. I did everything to check why that is and I can only figure that something else may be wrong.

Using a multi-meter I verified that the switch is working properly.

I suspect that just like when a T710 is opened when running and the fans spin up to full power, same thing is happening here because its thinking that the chassis is open.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

• 

6.2K Posts

December 27th, 2017 09:00

Hello

When an error occurs you will usually need to clear the hardware log for it to stop being reported. Clear the hardware log and see if the battery error goes away. Also, the error may not be with the CMOS battery, it could be an error with the controller battery if you have one.

Yesterday I took the server offline in order to install new RAM (2 sticks of 16gb) and all went well until I reconnected the server and noticed that the fans were running at full blast. Fast-forward all my troubleshooting and I discovered that for some reason the system is now identifying that the chassis is open despite being closed.

You may have damaged the chassis intrusion switch when you were installing the memory. Check that the intrusion switch is still in place. It is a plastic switch that is attached to the metal part of the chassis.

Thanks

2 Posts

December 27th, 2017 10:00

When an error occurs you will usually need to clear the hardware log for it to stop being reported. Clear the hardware log and see if the battery error goes away. Also, the error may not be with the CMOS battery, it could be an error with the controller battery if you have one.

You may have damaged the chassis intrusion switch when you were installing the memory. Check that the intrusion switch is still in place. It is a plastic switch that is attached to the metal part of the chassis.

It is certainly not the controller battery, as is evident from the included screenshot. Also, the error is a specific E1210 (battery) and I1910 (intrusion).

Also, the switch is mounted correctly and isnt damaged in any way. I also, tried pushing it with my finger and it didn't make any difference as to being identified open or closed.

Any other ideas?

No Events found!