Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 13th, 2015 06:00

PowerEdge T710 broadcom 5709c

Our new terminal server still relies on our domain controller and file server machine which is a PowerEdge T710 

It runs Windows SBS 2008

I'm getting network dropouts between the two machines for up to a minute every few days - at random times of the day, not just at peak usage.

It shows in windows system eventlog as error eventid 4:

Broadcom BCM5709C: The network link is down.  Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.

The driver is 5.2.14.0 from 2009, I have downloaded v19 to upgrade it.  Will this be enough?

Is it safe to run a Broadcom diagnostics on it?

Any suggestions greatly received.

• 

8.4K Posts

July 13th, 2015 09:00

TheGus54,

The update you downloaded is the most current (19.0.1), and should help to resolve the issue. The Broadcom diagnostics is perfectly safe to run, but I don't think the issue is the hardware itself,but lets test it regardless. 

Let me know what you see from the diagnostics, as well as the update. 

11 Posts

July 14th, 2015 13:00

Yes the broadcom diagnostics only appears to run a pingtest.

Unfortunately that driver installed qlogic instead of broadcom drivers and rendered all four adaptors unusable.

I am in the process of trying to install version 16.  What I don't understand is why all the tcp/ip settings went back to default.

A simple driver upgrade has turned into a nightmare

11 Posts

July 16th, 2015 02:00

Update;

re-ran NIC_DRVR_WIN_R306484 and rebooted, reset static ip and rebooted and it started to work.

The scary bits were:

• the way it hung when clicking 'uninstall' on the adaptors in device manager
  • the time taken to reboot

Fortunately the driver has installed ok

No Events found!