Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

12 Posts

July 6th, 2018 17:00

PowerEdge VRTX - M620 - CMC error wont power on?

So I purchased a VRTX Chassis with a single M630p Blade and it works great!

I then purchased a refurbished M620 blade which were from a M1000e and acquired the PCIe Mezz adapters separately and installed. the first blade booted fine and fully updated with the LC, while the others errors out in the CMC logs with a message that the server is not comparable. I have read elsewhere that there are some minimum firmware and BIOS versions and would like to think that this is the issue but I cannot get the blade to power on to be able to use the LC to perform an update on the blade.

Anyone know how I go about bypassing the error to be able to update the blade? 

I do not have a M1000e chassis that I can use and the VRTX chassis is up to date as of this month (The latest firmware/BIOS available for all devices.). I also know its not the blade as I have 6 of them and all of them have the same issue/error. 1 blade, maybe its corrupt but 6, I don't think so... The odd thing is they all interface with the CMC/chassis (iDRAC is assigned an address and I can access the iDRAC, but cannot power on the blade.)?

Has anyone else encountered this?

How did you resolve?

Thank you in advance!

Bill

• 

8.4K Posts

July 9th, 2018 05:00

WJScott,

Unfortunately it isn't a supported process for using M1000e blades in a VRTX, or VRTX blades in an M1000e. That doesn't mean it won't work, just that it is unsupported, as discussed here there is no documented path to do so.

12 Posts

July 9th, 2018 08:00

Chris,

Thats really hard to believe when Dell offered kits to do just this thing.

Platform

Dell Part #

Description

M520, M620

330-BBBM

VRTX PCIe Pass-Through Mezzanine Adapter, Quantity 2, Customer Install

M820

330-BBBV

VRTX PCIe Pass-Through Mezzanine Adapter, Quantity 4, Customer Install

No Events found!