Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2014 08:00

PowerEdge VRTX with R1-2401 VRTX 1Gb Switch Module - cannot connect port gi1/1

I don't know if this is a server or network issue, but I post here anyway..

Trying to set up a Dell PowerEdge VRTX with a R1-2401 VRTX 1Gb Switch Module. But port gi1/1 insists that is in a down/down state. The OS also says not connected. What I am doing wrong? All other ports are connected fine.

This is a M620 server, if that helps at all.

1 Message

September 10th, 2014 08:00

Hi everybody,

I had the same issue with my VRTX. Port gi 1/1 kept reporting down no matter which blade I plugged in and gi 2/1, 3/1. and 4/1 worked with any blade. I called Pro Support and it turns out there's an internal KB for this issue. Dell dispatched a new midplane and everything works fine now. It takes a couple hours to tear the whole thing down and put it back together. Definitely have a tech come if you have the option.

tl;dr Call Dell. It's a factory defect, get a new midplane.

9.3K Posts

July 31st, 2014 08:00

Assuming the switch doesn't have the port set to 'shutdown', install the latest (Dell) driver for the NICs.

Also verify that you have a blade in slot 1. Depending on whether the chassis is in tower mode (vertical) or rack mode (horizontal), the slots aren't necessarily numbered in a layout that makes sense.

August 1st, 2014 03:00

Thanks Dev Mgr, I already updated the drivers to the latest Broadcom drivers from the dell support website. 

NIC 2 in the server in slot 1 works fine, it connects with no issues. It's just NIC 1 that says "Network cable unplugged" on the OS side, and on the switch side it says "Current port status = down".

If this was a separate server and switch I would be checking the cables, NIC cards and patching for hardware faults. But I can't do that inside a VRTX!!! :-(

August 1st, 2014 03:00

If I move the M620 from Slot 1 to Slot 3, then I get 2 network connections, and everything works OK. So it seems slot 1 is the culprit. It cannot connect port 1 of the server to the network card.

Maybe this is a know limitation with the VRTX chassis but I can't find anything about that in any documentation. Also checked the latest chassis firmware release notes, but can't see anything relating to my issue. May next step is to call Dell gold support and see if they know anything about it.

9.3K Posts

August 1st, 2014 09:00

The chassis/switch/blade fully supports up to 4 network ports for each blade. For some odd reason Dell doesn't offer quad port NICs on some of the half height blades.

So if a known good NIC/blade works fine in 1 slot, but cannot get one of the NIC ports online in another slot, you either have a switch config issue (shutdown on the wrong port), bad switch, or bad backplane in the chassis.

Can you post a running-config of the switch?

1 Message

August 11th, 2014 10:00

Any resolution? I'm experiencing the same thing.

No Events found!