Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

GP

July 28th, 2015 11:00

PowerEdgge T610 Memory Upgrade Configuration 16GB quad rank ECC RDIMM

Without powering off the PE T610, I can't see what BIOS setting (Advanced ECC, Optimized, Mirrored). The iDRAC displays the memory modules installed, but doesn't indicate their configuration. So I must surmise from the size of the DIMMs the likely BIOS setting. Is there a way to confirm?

The iDRAC reports quantity of 4 4GB DIMMs:

DIMM.Socket.B1 DDR3 DIMM 4096MB M393B5273DH0-YH9 (SAMSUNG PC3L-10600R 1333MHz RDIMM ECC 2RX8 CL9)
DIMM.Socket.A1 DDR3 DIMM 4096MB HMT151R7TFR4C-H9 (HYNIX PC3-10600R 1333MHz RDIMM ECC 2RX8 CL9)
DIMM.Socket.B2 DDR3 DIMM 4096MB M393B5273DH0-YH9 (SAMSUNG PC3L-10600R 1333MHz RDIMM ECC 2RX8 CL9)
DIMM.Socket.A2 DDR3 DIMM 4096MB HMT151R7TFR4C-H9 (HYNIX PC3-10600R 1333MHz RDIMM ECC 2RX8 CL9)

I surmise that the BIOS setting is "Advanced ECC" since channel 3 is not populated.

I'd like to upgrade the memory. I have in my possession quantity four M393B2K70DM0-YF8 (SAMSUNG DDR3 16GB 4Rx4 quad rank PC3-8500 ECC RDIMM)

PLEASE CONFIRM THE FOLLOWING:

1). Based on documentation I see that only 8GB "when available" is compatible, but I find on Dell community forums statements that 16GB is also compatible. Can I use the above 16GB RDIMMs? (Is there a technical bulletin that confirms this?)

2). When mising dual and quad rank together, the quad rank must be in the white (A1, A2, A3) and (B1, B2, B3) slots.

3). If using the Advanced ECC BIOS setting, only the first two channels (A1+A4, A2+A5) and (B1+B4, B2+B5) can be used. With four 16GB and four 4GB DIMMs, this would be 16GB (A1+A2) and 4GB (A4+A5) plus 16GB (B1+B2) and 4GB (B2+B5). Total 80GB.

4). If using the Optimized BIOS setting, each "side" of the memory channel must be identical, in other words, 16GB DIMMs in (A1, A2, A3) and (B1, B2, B3) plus 4GB DIMMs in (A4, A5, A6) and (B4, B5, B6). Total 120GB.

If I don't buy any more RAM, then I must use item 3) and set to Advanced ECC. I understand this might impose a slight performance penalty with an improved bit error correction ability. Otherwise, I must buy additional memory sticks to go with the Optimized setting and populate all slots.

tell me if I've made any mistakes please.

I found this article useful: (i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/business/solutions/whitepapers/en/Documents/server-pedge-installing-upgrading-memory-11g.pdf)

• 

8.4K Posts

July 28th, 2015 14:00

George.Perkins.

Without powering down the server there are a couple options, depending on the OS installed. If Windows or Linux is installed then you can run a Dset report on the system or install OpenManage Server Administrator. Both of which will give all the details needed. Let me know the OS and I will get the links needed. 
Now to answer your questions;

1. 16GB (part # Y898N) are currently supported on the T610. I am looking for a tech bulletin that will confirm it for you.

2. That is correct, the quads will need to go in the White tabbed slots. 

3. This is incorrect, based on your description of dimms being in slots A1, B1, A2, and B2 there is no way that it can be set to Adv ECC. In the Adv ECC configuration, the two channels closest to the processor are combined to form one 128-bit channel. Which would be A2, A5, A3, A6, and B2, B5, B3, B6 being used, not A1, A4, B1, and B4.  So with your dimms being in the slots that they are in,  it will be either in Optimizer mode, or Mirror. My bet, as it is default, would be that it is in Optimizer mode. 

4. Close, with Optimizer mode all three channels must be populated identically.

Below is a diagram showing the memory layout.

Let me know if this helps answer your questions.

July 28th, 2015 14:00

The server is running ESX so we're flying blind here. But you are no doubt correct and it is using the default in Optimizer mode, my mistake there!

Upon further discussion internally, we're going to save the 16GB DIMMs for another project and update this server with identical 4GB DIMMs (going from 16GB to 32GB) because its life expectancy and workload just doesn't justify the 80GB.

With that in mind, I'm going to move the existing DIMMs out of A1/B1, and put them into A3/B3, plus add 4 new DIMMs in A5/B5 and A6/B6 and then set the BIOS to Advanced ECC. Since this is an ESX server the added safety of multiple bit error recovery seems wise.

Thanks Chris!

November 19th, 2015 12:00

Finally got an outage scheduled to take down ESX and the VMs to perform the upgrade. However, despite best efforts and lots of planning, this T610 is being stubborn!! I need some assistance to understand what is wrong.

My intention aided by my hands-on man (I worked remotely) was to remove DIMMs from A1, B1. And install a total of eight 4GB dual-rank DDR3 DIMMs into sockets A2, A3, A5, A6 and B2, B3, B5, B6. Upon restart the T610 displayed "updating memory configuration" and then we pressed F2 to go into the BIOS setup. In the BIOS we were unable the change the memory setting to "Advanced ECC" as planned. The property value was fixed (unable to change it). We did another power reset, but got the same result. The system is recognizing 16GB, not 32GB and refuses to let us change to any other mode but "Optimizer". 

The iDRAC shows Hardware Inventory with populated memory sockets A1, B1, A2, B2. This does not correspond to actual. A1 and B1 are empty.

When I look at vCenter, ESX reports memory sockets A2, A5, B2, B5. This disagrees with the iDRAC and also is not actual.

I do not understand the discrepancy! How do I update the BIOS so it will go into "Advanced ECC" and recognize the physical memory sockets?

I have two working theories:

1. There are "blank" memory boards populating all sockets and this confused the hands-on installer.

2. The stenciled numbering on the system board does not correspond to the actual logical numbering required for the upgrade.

Other than an extended outage (hard to do) where we try all possible settings and configurations trial-and-error fashion, what else can be done?

P.S. The firmware is all at the latest available level.

We are working from http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/server-poweredge-t610-tech-guidebook.pdf but it does not address the symptom encountered today.

Thank you in advance!

November 19th, 2015 13:00

Additional information from the installer:

The DIMM slots are numbered like this.

The DIMM in slots A3, A6, B3, and B6 are all exactly the same. They may be fake. I added the new DIMMs to A2, A5, B2, and B5. With all that being said, I would not *** the farm on me getting the slots right. But I am certain there are no DIMMs in either slot #1.

November 20th, 2015 09:00

The iDRAC, ESX, and physical verification of DIMMs installed are not in agreement. The BIOS does not let us configure the Advanced ECC as desired. Some help on this from Dell would be most appreciated.

• 

8.4K Posts

November 20th, 2015 10:00

To set the server to Adv ECC, try moving the dimms from A5 and B5 to A3 and B3, in order to use Adv ECC both remaining channels need to be populated.

Let me know if that straightens out the issue.

November 20th, 2015 11:00

Thank you Chris for jumping back into this 'old' thread.

We believe there were DIMMs only in A2, A3, A5, A6 and B2, B3, B5, B6. Definitely NOT in A1 or B1. Yet the iDRAC reports DIMMs in A1/A2 and B1/B2 - which also is what the BIOS is apparently sensing, because it disallowed changes to the memory configuration setting during F2 Setup. Do you have personal experience to know if the stenciled numbers of the memory sockets are as shown in the .jpg in this thread? It seems as if they are not (meaning the sockets are in some other sequence)?

I am a bit handicapped because I am working remotely with a different person performing the hands-on physical DIMM insertions. We are constrained by a very short window of downtime, so not much allowed for trial-and-error to figure it out.

December 3rd, 2015 12:00

Turns out there were blank fillers in the unused memory sockets and this confused the installer. Removal of the blank fillers allowed the installer to correctly place memory into the desired memory sockets (A2,A5) (A3,A6) (B2,B5) (B3,B6). However, this did not result in the desired outcome. But I have created a new thread to pose a different question on that matter.

To be continued... http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/t/19663323

No Events found!