Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2011 13:00

Poweredge 1900 CPU Upgrade - help needed

Hey all,

I recently bought a used Poweredge 1900 tower (tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>) that I planned to use as a home server and swap some of the bits 

from the PE2950 III I currently have.

As you can see from the above tag the PE1900 shipped with a Dual Core Xeon 5110 but a bit of reading suggested it'd also support

a Quad Xeon 5345 so I've bought myself one of these from good old ebay, did a straight swap, and booted her up. CPU is recognized 

during the POST but then halts with an "Unsupported CPU Configuration" error.

A bit more reading has given me the sinking feeling this may be a series I PE1900 which doesn't support this CPU after all..

Can anyone confirm this or suggest what I might be able to do to get it running? System is at the latest BIOS, BMC versions as is.

Alternatively, can anyone advise what CPU's - preferably quad - this machine WILL take?

Thanks in advance!!

62 Posts

November 11th, 2011 02:00

Hi, looks like you have an older motherboard that doesn't support Clovertown processors, the Xeon 5345 falls into this range.  - " If you use a Clovertown processor on an older motherboard you will receive an incompatibility error message after POST"

The way to tell if you have a 1900 that works with the Clovertown range is there should be a circle icon on the front of the chassis with II in the centre of it.  From what I can find you can only use a dual core from the Dempsey and Woodcrest range of procs, so no quad core I'm afraid.

Steve

9 Posts

November 17th, 2011 16:00

Thanks for the reply.. got a pair of Xeon 5150s instead and it's running fine now.

Side note:  Will my PE2950 support the Xeon 5345? I tried installing it and the same thing happened as with the PE1900 - Sees the CPU but halts with the same "unsupported CPU Configuration" error. Does it need a 2nd one?

No Events found!