Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2008 17:00

Poweredge 1900 - Probably easy to answer network option question

We're looking at purchasing a Poweredge 1900 to use as a head server for a cluster.  Obviously this server needs to have 2 NIC ports, one to go out to the internet and one to go to the switch for the cluster machines.  My question is about what to select to get the right thing among the 26 choices listed!  I have two questions.

Would a dual port single card work for this purpose?  Such as the Broadcom 5709 Dual Port 1GbE NIC w/TOE PCIe-4

and if I want two separate connections would the following option give that to me....

2x Broadcom 5708 Single Port 1GbE NIC w/TOE PCIe-4

The specs say the system comes with one integrated 10/100/1000 ethernet adapter so the other confusing thing is am I selecting the type I want or is the selection actually adding another NIC already.

Thanks,

Lisa

October 26th, 2008 13:00

For cluster purposes, two NIC ports are required.  Typically, one for the heart beat, and one for the network.  I don't think it really matters if it is two single port NICs or one dual port NIC.  One thing to consider though is the single port of failure with a dual port NIC.

If the NICs are listed in the pulldown menu when ordering the server, than these are supported NICs for the server.  As you mentioned, the server comes with one NIC that is built into the system.  The other NICs are optional addons.

Be careful what NIC you select because some are optical versus copper (RJ45) connectors.

No Events found!