Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2011 19:00

Poweredge 2600 cpu upgrade

Hello all,

First post here so be gentle. I'm a Networking student and i have a Poweredge 2600 w/ dual 2.4 Ghz xeon's with a 533 Mhz  fsb 604 pin, and i want to upgrade to 3.2 xeon cpu's w/ the same fsb but have a 1mb cache. Will i need to upgrade the bios for the new processors, and my biggest question, is this recomended? This machine is part of my server lab and i would rather not damage this machine or face costly repair. Is this a fairly easy process? Any help or advice would be great.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 24th, 2011 05:00

Since you have the 2600 533 FSB, you have processor options to upgrade the processors in the system to accomodate a 1MB cache. - 3.2Ghz 1MB Cache 533FSB D1 Stepping

Simply call the spare parts group.  The part number is J4337. The Spare Parts Department can be reached at 1-800-357-3355. Their hours are 7 AM to 8 PM CST.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 24th, 2011 07:00

With this sort of change, best practice is to ensure your hardware is completely up to date.  Specifically the BIOS and BMC.  I would also recommend that if you are making this level of change, back up your data prior to doing this.  Should something happen in bending a pin on the board or something to that effect, at least your data is not held hostage on a no POST system.

4 Posts

February 24th, 2011 07:00

So does that mean i can just install the new processors and the motherboard will support them or will i need to go through additional steps?

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 04:00

So i was able to upgrade the BIOS to the newest version. This site had nothing for download for BMC unless it is commonly known as something else. Anyway, i installed the new processors and they are working fine. BIOS recognizes them as  3200 Mhz , I downloaded a processor ID tool from Intel and that worked fine. The machine is still showing two 2.4 xeon processors in the device manager. Is there a dell link for BMC drivers, and what can i do to update the info in device manager?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2011 05:00

System has new processors, unit boots and everything works as intended, only issue is now what lists within device manager.  My question would be what does it list within BIOS and POST as the unit boots up and displays the proessors as intended without any errors and shows the proper upgraded processors?

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 09:00

processors show correctly in every place except in the device manager

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 8th, 2011 07:00

Here is the link to the MS page with the steps to resolve the incorrect reporting within device manager:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930861

1 Message

November 15th, 2011 09:00

Beside the issue with the device manager, do you got any performance improvement with the upgrade?

No Events found!