Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2011 05:00

Poweredge 2950 dual video cards

Hello

Im hoping someone out there can help solve my issue, I have a poweredge 2950 running win7sp1 x64 and have added an HIS HD4550 (Ati Raedon based card). As far as windows is concerned the drivers install ok however nothing is ever detected as being connected to the card (Im only really interested in the hdmi connector but a vga monitor was connected as well). Doing a bit of researching on the net most people suggest turning off the onboard ati es1000 card however on a 2950 unless im mistaken you cant actually do this ? Now before anyone says this config isnt possible, when I first put the card in the server it had a copy of server 2003 running on it and just for a laugh I installed the drivers and was able to output to the HDMI without any problem, so of all operating systems server 2003 worked funnily enough. The box is inteded as being a media server running win media centre. I have updated the bios to the newest version and have the newest ati drivers running. So has anyone out there done anything like this with a 2950 or have any advice on how to get it to work ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 7th, 2011 06:00

You are correct, the ideal situation would be to disable the integrated video adapter, which would eliminate conflicts between the two. But with the 2950 there is not a way to disable the integrated video adapter. So this is going to result in varying conflicts and  issues.

I did some searching and found some other forum posts, with people trying to do the same or similar thing as you. Each one seemed to run into very similar issues with no clear solution.

Here are some links to information I found:

forums.mydigitallife.info/.../4540-Help-Needed-Dell-PE-2950-video-card

en.community.dell.com/.../19936275.aspx

en.community.dell.com/.../19705496.aspx

en.community.dell.com/.../19467625.aspx

en.community.dell.com/.../17556095.aspx

I hope some of this information will help guide in what decision/ next step to take.

Let us know how things work out.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

November 7th, 2011 13:00

just out of curiosity, do you have any bangs in Device Mangler?

7 Posts

November 7th, 2011 15:00

When you say bangs im guessing you mean yellow warnings, if so no, all devices install without issue

2 Posts

November 18th, 2011 19:00

Hi Porka

Were you able to resolve the issue as I have the same problem with a poweredge 1950 but can't find a resolution online?

Thanks

FreeFrag

7 Posts

November 20th, 2011 00:00

Nope, thus far no resolution, however I suspect its the motherboard bios dell is using for the server that is stopping us doing what we are trying

1 Message

July 21st, 2012 09:00

Have you taken  the management card out or unplugged it most video cards are incompatible with it. here is a link to help you hopefully.

http://www.shoalresearch.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62:adding-a-graphics-card-to-a-dell-poweredge-2950&catid=43:general-computing&Itemid=53

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 22:00

Hello Porka,

I am foreseeing myself experiencing the same issue as I am to add a Quadro NVS PCIe x1 card to my PE-2950 soon and later a FX100 Remote Host Card. I therefore ask; Were you able to find a solution to your problem of the Card not being recognised due to BIOS limitations? Your response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ~ Tim

7 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 22:00

Hi Tim

In the end I used a different base server (R710) since no one had a solution, although the web link posted about removing the idrac card sounded promising but I never got around to trying it since I had abandoned the idea. Good luck

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 23:00

Hi Porka,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will keep looking, if I find no solution I'll contact Dell Support as a last resort. Thanks again.

548 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 23:00

Don't bother with calling Dell support regarding add on video cards with all but the very latest PE servers as it is an unsupported configuration.

Your best bet is to search these forum for previous PE 2950 video posts. Some posters have had limited success using some cards but in general, it's been a hit and miss affair on these older servers. 

It is possible if the bios allowed you to disable the integrated graphics, as is the case on the T610 for example, but unfortunately with your server disabling the integrated graphics is not possible.

No Events found!