Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2015 09:00

Poweredge 6850 Upgrade from 2 to 4 processors: FAIL

Hello, please I need your help. I'm new to this.

Recently I received a Dell Power Edge 6850, for purposes of running an application on Windows Server 2008 R2, also I'm a rookie on this server thing, I just have experience running smaller servers for small companies. It came with 2 processors Xeon 7020.

Recently I bought 2 more processors with the exact model and numbers that are on the processors plate, I bought them looking for the best performance the server can deliver. But when I turned on the Server nothing happens, you just can hear the fans running at low speed, but doesn't boot up.

I'm an amateur and I spent a lot of money on the upgrade and making this thing running, maybe I need something else to make the four processors configuration running, but I don't know.
HELP :(

• 

8.4K Posts

December 15th, 2015 11:00

Juankvcsc,

Can you confirm a few things for us?

First off is if the server was functional with the original 2 processors, but is then not functioning with CPU 3 and 4 installed?
If the original processors do work, then try removing them and placing the new processors in CPU 1 and 2. Does the server start? 

Lastly, are you seeing any errors being displayed, or amber lights on the server, when you try to power it on?

Let us know.

9 Posts

December 16th, 2015 08:00

Thank you for your help my friend, as soon as I test I let you know, I'll try that. 

9 Posts

December 16th, 2015 10:00

Dell-Chris

I had placed the new processors in the old one's positions (first two left positions), same as you asked, and they worked, but if I install ALL THE PROCESSORS again, it doesn't boot up (the old ones on the 2 last right positions).

Also I checked the specs of the CPUs, and seems that they are all the exact same model. This first photo is from the old ones, both have the same specs.

This photo is from the New ones. Seems like are the same, despite of the voltage that is a little higher ON THE OLD ONES, I don't know why...

ALSO I noticed that when I install the four processors this light turns on, but I don't know what it means.

Same light, but from an outside view:

Thank you again Chris, I really need to get this thing boot up.

• 

8.4K Posts

December 17th, 2015 05:00

Do you happen to have VRM's (Voltage Regulation Modules) installed for CPU 3 and 4 in the slots shown below?

9 Posts

December 18th, 2015 10:00

No sir, I don't have anything installed there, I have heard of that, but still don't understand it's purpose. Do I need those modules to get the third and fourth processors working??? Thank you for still helping me. Thank you very much

9 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 08:00

Please help me brother :(

Anyone else knows this issue?

9 Posts

January 12th, 2016 10:00

Please, tell me what I have to do with the VRMs. I'll be very grateful.

9 Posts

February 16th, 2016 15:00

Finally I got my server running with four processors, the story here was that you need a CPU VRM for each additional CPU, in my case I got to install 2 VRM units, for the 2 aditional CPUs, and I installed  the cache VRM (K5331) as well,

This is the list of what I bought from Ebay:

-2 VRM for CPU: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140953272477?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

-1 Cache VRM: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Dell-PowerEdge-2600-6800-6850-Cache-667Mhz-VRM-Power-Module-K5331-0K5331-/390925495580?hash=item5b04f9ad1c

As well I recommend you this seller, I found great communication with him:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/move-it-out?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Anyway thank you for your help Chris, because every little I have read helps, and drove me to the truth I was looking for.

Finally, some pics of my server working:

• 

8.4K Posts

February 17th, 2016 11:00

Glad to hear you got the VRMs installed and everything is working.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on the server.

No Events found!