Highlighted
2 Bronze

Poweredge R440 CPU upgrade failure

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell Poweredge R440 with 2 Intel Xeon Silver 4108 1.8 GHz CPUs. I needed to upgrade them to the 4208 2.1 GHz so I could properly run ISE on the server. But when I removed the old CPUs and installed the new ones, I powered on the computer and during the boot process I got an error that said that there wasn't any memory installed.

Considering there was 128GB of RAM plugged in, all recently tested and working....I had a feeling the CPU was the problem. When I put the old CPUs back in, the server booted just fine.

I've seen these Dell servers sold with the 4208 CPUs in them so I assume they are supposed to work on the computer. Is there something special I'm supposed to do to make them work? In my experience just plugging in the CPU has been enough but this time seems to be different.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Poweredge R440 CPU upgrade failure

Hello,

i confirm, when installing a new CPU there are no modification to do. In this case there is maybe an compatibility issue or the new CPU is failed. Did you test it in another server?T
Thanks

Marco

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I didn't test it in another server because this is the only one I have. However I did have 2 different CPUs and both of them, when socketed into the CPU1 slot, give the same error. 

It seems highly unlikely that I would have 2 brand new CPUs fail out of the box. Not impossible, but unlikely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Hello gmckelvey,

I would recommend you update BIOS  to current 2.8.1  (if not already)  for updated processor and memory reference code.

BIOS 2.8.1

https://dell.to/2CQXV6G

Did you get the heatsinks for the upgrade?

Upgrading both CPUs. Must replace existing heatsink with 412-AAJQ (for CPU1)  and include heatsink 412-AALK (for CPU2)

Respectfully,

Charles Ray #IWork4Dell

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks the BIOS update did the trick.

Wow, I was running an old BIOS. It was still running version 1.2.11

0 Kudos