Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2017 12:00

Poweredge R710, E5540 CPU, Mixing Regular and Low-Voltage Ram

I recently had a stick of memory go bad. I purchased another, however the seller shipped me a low-voltage stick model that does NOT have a thermal sensor. Intel reports the low-voltage memory can only be utilized in the Xeon 5600 series CPUs, but what I have installed are two Xeon 5540. I will supply my H/W list below. My question is this, If I have 6 sticks of Hynix normal voltage, thermal sensor RAM, can I replace ONE stick that has failed with the mostly same-spec RAM with the EXCEPTION of Low-Voltage and lacking the thermal sensor? (I am worried about the voltage difference causing the new stick to burn and also the chassis fans constantly blowing at 100% due to the lack of thermal sensors that report back to the BIOS/OS)

Server: Dell R710 2U Server
CPU: Intel Xeon 5540 (Qty. 2)
RAM: Hynix 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R-9-10-E1 (Qty. 6)
RAM Model#: HMT31GR7BFR4C-H9 D7 AB

Replacement RAM stick: Hynix 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600L-9-10-E1 (Qty. 1)
RAM Model#: HMT31GR7BFR4A-H9 xx xx

February 28th, 2017 15:00

So there's a chance that stick of RAM would be shutdown prematurely? If it doesn't have the thermal sensor, in what manner does the BIOS determine that the memory has exceeded allowable temperature? I really want to know what are the possible issues I could run into by going ahead and installing this stick of memory as opposed to waiting and shipping another one. Thank you for you help with this by the way. You won't believe the amount of time/days I have spent trying to figure this out.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 28th, 2017 15:00

Hello

On the R710 sever, low voltage DIMMs and regular Voltage DIMMs can be mixed. However, the low voltage DIMMs will be regulated to use regular voltage (1.5 V) thereby negating the benefit of the low voltage. The heating of the DIMM as a result may be negligible and when it happens there will be  an alert "Memory has exceeded allowable temperature and has been disabled to prevent damage to the components". This may not cause the system fans to continuously operate at 100 % RPM.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 2nd, 2017 09:00

Whereas R710 memory system includes I2-C access to SPD EEPROM for access to RDIMM thermal sensors, it can also handle thermal management on the memory modules.

March 2nd, 2017 15:00

Excuse if I sound a little dense on the subject of Thermal Sensors involving memory, but it sounds like you're saying that the system can detect/monitor memory temperatures with OR without the thermal sensor on the stick itself? It just depends on which process is doing the detecting/monitoring?

No Events found!