Highlighted
adrianTNT
1 Nickel

Poweredge R710 with H700 raid card, is raid 0 6xSSD OK ?

With this setup: Poweredge R710 with H700 raid card with 6 bays set as 6 raid 0 SSD. I was wondering if it will have a decent performance or what transfer speeds to expect from this. Considering one SSD works at around 500MB/s read/write. Is there any reason why the ssd in raid 0 will not perform well ? e.g the raid card is too old and cannot keep up with the SSD speed ?
Labels (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Poweredge R710 with H700 raid card, is raid 0 6xSSD OK ?

The H700 controller was validated with a number of solid state drives. The array shouldn't be a problem. The cache on the controller is less, compared to more modern controllers, but this shouldn't prevent you from using and benefiting from this raid configuration.

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Re: Poweredge R710 with H700 raid card, is raid 0 6xSSD OK ?

Let me offer some differing opinions:

1. Don't use RAID 0. You didn't say what this would be for, so I'm only going off of a rule of thumb - never use RAID 0. It has its uses, but there are VERY few valid reasons for doing so. RAID 0 should never be used for critical data or services. The controller CAN do RAID 0, but it is dangerous unless you have a very high tolerance for downtime to restore non-critical data/services from backup WHEN it becomes necessary - or there is a tolerance for some data loss/corruption.

2. Yes, "a number of solid state drives" have been validated for that controller, BUT you can't just throw any old SSD on it and expect it to work. Samsung SSD's have historically been "iffy" - sometimes work (EVO is a bad choice, PRO is better) but sometimes don't. Intel drives seem to have a more consistently favorable track record. Again, if we are talking about critical data/services, don't use consumer-grade SSD's (especially low-end ones, like the EVO) - use Dell-certified enterprise SSD's to protect the data/services it houses/provides. Those are the ONLY SSD's that have been validated for the H700 that Dylan was referencing above. Drive manufacturers may have done their own testing on server/RAID manufacturers' devices, but those validations are done by Dell and would be available - and support for the configuration - provided by the drive manufacturer, not Dell.

0 Kudos