Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 06:00

Poweredge R720 boot to PCIe nvme causes the sata raid from being recognized

We have an R720 and we updated the firmware to latest.  We installed a samsung evo 950 using a pcie adapter card plugged into the PCIe expansion slots in the back of the server.  After installing the OS the server boots without issue to the nvme drive.  The issue we're having now is that the front sata drives in raid 5 are not recognized as being installed.  When we go to the raid config everything looks normal and fine.  It seems like when the system queries hardware at boot it hits the nvme drive first and then doesn't even try the raid card.  It's like it just skips it completely.  We would like to boot to the PCIe card but still use the sata raid as our data drive.  Can anyone tell me if there's a way to have it recognize both the pcie and sata raid?

• 

8.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2018 11:00

886Mallard999,

The first thing I would confirm is the OS installed, and if the driver is being loaded for the S110 controller which is a driver based controller. 

Let us know.

May 22nd, 2018 12:00

Thanks for the reply.  When i have the nvme card installed the boot process just skips the raid config part of the process.  Instead, where one would normally see the raid config with the hit ctrl-r to enter raid config message I see the message about my nvme and then it skips the raid config part altogether and continues in the boot process.  When I pull the nvme card out and boot the server i see the raid config message like normal and the server will boot to the raid array.  Put the nvme back in and skips the raid config again.  It's acting like it's either one or the other and won't recognize both during the boot process.

• 

8.4K Posts

May 30th, 2018 05:00

Is there any change in the boot order (F11), and is the raid listed first?

1 Message

August 17th, 2018 10:00

Which brand/model pci-e to nvme adapter did you use?

No Events found!