Highlighted
caleb.grant
1 Nickel

QLogic Control Suite - crashes on startup

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I've recently updated the Qlogic drviers on our 12G and 13G systems with the latest DUP, Network_Driver_F58MD_WN64_34.07.00_A00-00.EXE, https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=F58MD but now QCS crashes on launch with the following error:

Faulting application name: QCS.exe, version: 40.0.16.0, time stamp: 0x5ab27e63
Faulting module name: QLogic Corporation\QCSR\QCS.exe!GAM_SetVLANTableCfg, version: 6.3.9600.19153, time stamp: 0x5b93ffa7
Exception code: 0xc0000139
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ecf30
Faulting process id: 0xa60c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4abf3646ee005
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\QLogic Corporation\QCSR\QCS.exe
Faulting module path: QLogic Corporation\QCSR\QCS.exe
Report Id: a22e7ec6-17e6-11e9-8123-00074329ad08
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

All systems are running Windows 2012 R2 which are kept up to date and patched monthly.

Any thoughts?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: QLogic Control Suite - crashes on startup

Jump to solution

From what I've seen so far, this appears to be a software issue. Does either OpenManage or the iDRAC's SEL list any events relating to the NIC? Some possible causes I'm seeing for this are corrupted .DLL libraries, corrupted application, or Windows problems. Things you might consider trying would be to run something like sfc /scannow to check for any windows issues or fully uninstalling and reinstalling the QLogic software. 

It sounds like you have several servers doing this, so I wouldn't expect hardware issues, but you could test one of the servers in our Support Live environment to check if there are behavioral differences.

SupportLive: https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/en...

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos
caleb.grant
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Unfortunately this is no good.

I have one server where it does work... How very odd. I think some dependency on C++ runtime is missing from the installer. I'll try and work this out but am always open to suggestions.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows system I can test on. The fact that the software package is working on the one server would make me believe that it has everything present. Feel free to share any other error messages you run into, though.

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos
caleb.grant
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Yes but I upgraded from the version Dell published previously and that did work. I would add the server which it does work on has lots of other stuff on it, including exisiting C++ runtimes.

The exception in the error does point to a C++ issue however I'm not a software debugger and will just have to use trial and error to fix. The version change is from major 30 to major 40 so I'm assuming it's a change of runtime required. I'm also investigating the different files in each deployment as the file size reported does seem diffrerent.

The Qlogic CLI also doesn't work...

I'm surprised no-one else has had this issue?

0 Kudos
caleb.grant
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

SOLVED.

I found the cause and resolution to the problem.

It seems that during an in place upgrade from a previous version of the Qlogic Drivers and Management Applications package from 20.20.2.2 to 20.20.3.2, which is a QCS upgrade from version 30 to 40 (drivers remain the same for BCM57xxx in my case), and dll is not updated, probably due to poor packaging of the DUP.

Broken QCS - gamapi_x64.dll version 1.0.27.0 - 982,016 bytes

Working QCS - gamapi_x64.dll version 1.0.27.0 - 990,720 bytes

Notice the same dll version but different size? Shame

So by simply putting correct 'version' of the dll in the QCSR\ folder fixes the issue without having to totally remove and re-install the drivers and applications, very annoying if you're using FCoE and/or iSCSI functions.

I got the proper dll from the latest DUP, Network_Driver_F58MD_WN64_34.07.00_A00-00_01.exe

Nice one Dell.

0 Kudos