touche112
6 Indium

Quad Core CPU upgrade in a PowerEdge 6950??

We're trying to upgrade our PowerEdge 6950 with 4x AMD Opteron 8387 CPUs, but I can't get it to boot.  I've tried one, two, and four CPUs.  They're all matched, and we've made sure the RAM is good.

Any ideas?  BIOS is up to date.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: Quad Core CPU upgrade in a PowerEdge 6950??

Hello

I don't have the 8387 in my list of validated CPUs for the 6950. The only 83xx series I have listed are the 8346 and 8347. I suspect that the CPU is not compatible. If you found documentation somewhere that stated that CPU will work in the 6950 let me know.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

0 Kudos
touche112
6 Indium

Could you provide me with the list of validated CPUs?  I can't find it anywhere on the 6950's support page.

0 Kudos

Could you provide me with the list of validated CPUs?  I can't find it anywhere on the 6950's support page.

No, our part database is not publicly available. I provided the models of the two 83xx series that are validated.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

0 Kudos
touche112
6 Indium

touche112

No, our part database is not publicly available. I provided the models of the two 83xx series that are validated.

Thanks

Well that's not helpful haha.  Most motherboard manufacturers have public validation lists.  It's a shame that Dell keeps that stuff private.

0 Kudos