Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2017 18:00

R210 showing powerup diags 1 and 4

I have an R210 server that was built from a barebones chassis from eBay. The PS/Ram/CPU/MB were also bought on eBay. My question is this: IS there *any* other item from the above list that could cause the powerup diags 1 and 4 lamps to light? I know that the 1-4 combination indicates mainboard failure, but here's the thing. I've recieved two allegedly tested mainboards from the same eBay vendor that exhibited the same error on powerup. I returned those and bought another board from another non-eBay vendor and it exhibited the SAME error on powerup. I tried removing the ram and powering the system up, I got the expected "1" light indicating no ram present. I supported Dell servers in my job prior to retirement, but never really had to worry as we had onsite warrantee on all of our server systems. I find it hard to believe that 3 mainboards from two different vendors would exhibit the same failure/error code.. Hoping there is something else that is causing this error...

Thanks

Dave

19 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 19:00

The incorrect ram was the problem. The vendor sold registered ecc as being R210 compatible. Once I got some unbuffered ECC ram, the system works fine...

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

August 21st, 2017 09:00

Hello

Are you piecing together an R210 or did you just use our chassis to build a white box? If you are trying to piece together an R210 then list the part numbers of the components you installed and I will check for issues.

Thanks

19 Posts

August 21st, 2017 10:00

I bought a "bare bones" R210 chassis, R210 motherboard (several, which showed the same 1-4 status), Xeon qc X3450 cpu, R210 heat sink, and R210 power-supply, so in essence it *is* an R210. I believe I've found the problem. The ram I ordered stated it was R210-compatible, but turned out to be ECC registered, where the Dell R210 manual says "ECC unbuffered". I've sent back the registered ram and am waiting for an order of unbuffered. Will post back when I recieve it and try it...

Thanks

Dave

No Events found!