PowerEdge Hardware General

Last reply by 05-31-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

R420 chassis heating due raid controller card

hi

we purchased 6 servers from dell india.

we are facing a severe heating issue on top of the chassis above the raid card with all these 6 servers.

server configuration

R420 - single hexcore processor 2.2 ghz, 32gb ram

4 X 600 gb 15000 rpm drives
(configured as 2 drives in raid 1 + 2 drives in raid 1)

these servers are placed in a datacenter -- temperature is around 18 deg C

we are facing a severe heating issue at the on top of the chasiss just above the raid controller

when the servers are placed one above the other like they are normally placed in a datacenter the servers heat up between 50.4 - 57 deg celcius

dell support has changed motherboard, raid card , power supply etc of one of the above servers which is non-production (heating to 50.4 deg celcius) but the issue is not resolved

On closer examination of the raid controller card i noted that the fins of the heatsink on top of the raid controller card --  instead of being parallel to the airflow is actually perpendicular to the air flow and is actually trapping all the heat

the same card in a R620 server has the heatsink fins parallel to the air flow which remains cool

has anybody else in this forum noted this and are facing such a heating issue ?

could you please check this and let me know the resolution to this problem

can the heatsink be turned around by 90 degrees so that the fins of the heat sink are parallel to the airflow ?

thanks for your help

rajesh mahadevan

mumbai , india

Replies (28)
4 Germanium

"the server in the middle will get heated to around 55- 57 deg c"

temp is too high

55-57 c for the CPU temp is just within limits, but for a case temperature ?,  it is beyond earthly engineering specs... according to the manual I see 45C being the absolute highest ( and that would be the highest it should go in any area of the server.... any higher and you could rate the server for outer space use ). Personally I would be drilling holes in the case cover or adding  fans .

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

hi

does anybody in this forum has an experience using R420 server with a Raid configuration in a datacenter rack ie 3 or more R420 servers together with 4 drives in raid 1 for each pair ?

rajesh

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

hi daniel

we checked out everything but the heating issue is not yet resolved. either i have 57 deg with fans at 2000 rpm or i have excessive cooling at 7500 rpm

in the thermal offset there are only 2 settings ie 50% and 100% which gives an rpm of 7500 and 15000 rpm per fan respectively

can the drac be modifed to have more control over thermal offset ?

ie have options from 20 percent (around 3000 rpm) to 100 percent with increments of 10 percent.

if possible can this be suggested as feature on the drac

rajesh

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hello,

Last time we buy many R320 and R420 and there is a problem with temp. of RAID. Its not good when radiator on RAID is with wrong side. Our solution is remove RAISER near RAID. I know server call's there are errors but temp is lower.

And other thing is with this high temp RAID battery broke regulary. Battery on H710 mini cant work with high temperatures.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

hi

thanks for your feedback.

May i know your server configuration -- could you post it online please.

You are absoutely right. The radiator (heatsink) is placed wrongly ).

My servers are heating up so badly -- ie at 57 deg celcius in an 18 deg datacenter, and all i keep getting the same response from dell saying that such high temperatures are normal -- ie temperature that can burn your hand is normal.

This is not some factory equipment we are talking about.

Also if such temperatures are normal then how come the other 1 U models 620 and 2u models 520 and 720 is not heating up at all ?

also while selling these servers they do not disclose that that chassis can get heated to such a high temperature.

everything about this server seems to be wrong -- raid card too far way from the fans, direction of heatsink fins are wrong and there is too less space between the heatsink and the chassis of the server

there are asking me to turn the fans to 8000 rpm ie 5 times more speed - which will reduce the life of these fans -- and each one costs close to 100 usd -- as soona there warranty is over i will be spending that kind of money.

also they can easily control the speed of the fans via drac -- ie increase rpm of fans 2A and 2B which are directly in line with the raid card or provide some midleve control of thermal offset at around 25 / 30 percent, but no response yet.

i am absolutely disappointed with dell ........

rajesh

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

prolame

could you pl post the detailed configuration of your R420 server ?

thanks,

rajesh

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hello,

Yes i send it today but later.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

We have 18 R320 servers online now:

One from configuration:

E5-2420 , 32 GB RAM, 4x 300GB SAS, H710 - thats example, this server have high temp like other, in all new servers R320 and R420 we put out a RAISER, the temp. on RAID ctrl. are 3-6'C lower.

Dell says the controler can work in high temp, i say yes but battery on this controler cant. We change our batteries many times. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

prolame

thanks for your update.

could you please let me know the following

1) are your server in a rack one above the other ?

2) what is the temperature of the server ?

thanks

rajesh

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor