clindell
1 Copper

R510 A bus fatal error slot 3

Jump to solution

R510 Description: A bus fatal error was detected on a component at slot 3, what is slot 3?

The server is a 4 bay non hot swap with 3 drives in RAID5 on a PERC S300, the 4th channel has a 1TB SSD on it. I've updated the drives from 500GB to 1TB's and installed Server 2012 R2 SP2. I have had 2 of these errors in the last 2 days and need to know what to address.

I'm thinking slot 3 is the PCI express bus, maybe PCI3 ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller can anyone confirm and suggest what to do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

RE: R510 A bus fatal error slot 3

Jump to solution

Clindell,

Slot 3 on the R510 is the bottom PCIe slot on the expansion riser. (seen below)

What I would suggest is to remove and reseat the expansion cards, the riser cards, and then any cables running to either. Then try powering the server back up. If the error persists, I would suggest removing anything in slot 3 and then power to see if it clears.  If so the card is likely the issue. 

You may want to consider updating the BIOS and iDrac at your earliest convenience as well.

Let me know what you see.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Clindell,

Slot 3 on the R510 is the bottom PCIe slot on the expansion riser. (seen below)

What I would suggest is to remove and reseat the expansion cards, the riser cards, and then any cables running to either. Then try powering the server back up. If the error persists, I would suggest removing anything in slot 3 and then power to see if it clears.  If so the card is likely the issue. 

You may want to consider updating the BIOS and iDrac at your earliest convenience as well.

Let me know what you see.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
clindell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had a USB3 card in there and it was running fine on Server 2008 r2 running a couple of VHD's from the USB3 external HDD that was VERY fast as compared to the PERC S300. I considered the BIOS update but needed to eliminate the O/S errors and rebooting. Removal of the card and moving the VHD's to the new partition allowed the system to stabilize however it still is not as fast as the USB3.

I pulled the card before the reply as I couldn't wait and also wonder why it took 2 days to get approved for posting? When questions are posted we don't always have the luxury of time to wait for a reply. getting this posted ASAP would have confirmed my suspicion.

I also wonder why it was so bloody hard to answer my own question to the slot, I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere in the server info from Dell which is very frustrating.

Thank you!

0 Kudos