Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2014 07:00

R610 "system service disabled" and "idrac6 communication failure"

Hi, we have a R610, purchased around Dec 2009. I don't know how, recently, we moved it from one rack to another. During reboot bios screen, it shows "system service disabled". It boots very slowly. At the end of bios (after showing the raid information, it shows an error:" idrac6 communication failure", "alert! IDRAC6 communication failure, rebooting". Then it reboots itself. After rebooting, it shows a message at the end of post:

"Alert! iDRAC6 not responding. Power required my exceed PSU wattage.Continuing system boot accepts risk that system may power down without warning. Strike F1 to continue,F2 to run system setup program".

Since the machine is a product machine and run on remote data center, we can't use it without resolving the problem. Since the unit is out of warranty this past Jan, Dell support line can't help me.  I searched solution on the forums. Here are things I tried, none of them solved the problem.

1.  unplug the power cords, wait for several minutes before powering on.

2. Since it doesn't give me a Ctrl-E option in post, I can't reset drac there.

3. Once it boots up to CentOS by typing F1 in 2nd reboot, I was trying to use racadm racresetcfg, it gave a message "idrac update in progress".

Is there anything else that I can try? Is there anyway that I can re-flash the idrac or Dell systems management? if there is, how?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

• 

8.4K Posts

October 24th, 2014 09:00

ITSADELL,

What I would suggest is powering down the server, then remove the power cord, and then press the power button down to drain the flea power. After that try clearing the NVram, which you can see the location as well as the jumper position on the underside of the servers cover. The NVram jumper location is S on the systemboard overview.

Once you move the jumper over the restore the power cable and then power up the server. Once you see indications of power, such as the lights on the server, then power back down and restore the jumper to its original location. After that restore the power cord again, this time give the server about 2-3 minutes BEFORE powering back on. After that time the power on and see if the iDrac is accessible and working as it should. 

Page 165 of the manual will also show the jumper location as well - http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r610_Owner%27s%20Manual2_en-us.pdf

Let me know what you see. 

10 Posts

October 24th, 2014 10:00

Dell-Chris H,

Thanks for helping out.

I did the steps as suggested. But the problem persists. When it booted to bios, there was a message saying " Invalid configuration information. Please run setup program". So it did indicates I cleared the NVram by following the steps.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

• 

8.4K Posts

October 27th, 2014 07:00

Does it indicate what configuration is Invalid? Is it memory, raid, etc?

10 Posts

October 27th, 2014 17:00

No. It didn't. It on the top of the bios screen.

21 Posts

June 17th, 2016 15:00

If someone is still looking for this information, here is what I did to resolve this issue:

Download the Lifecycle Controller Repair Package from

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=7Y5M4

Upload the this package using DRAC's firmware upload interface.

Reboot the server and predd F10 to goto the System Services.

Goto USC settings and configure the IP address information.

Goto platform update and select ftp as source.

keep ftp.dell.com as URL and click next .

Select the Lifecycle Controller for update in addition to whatever else you want to update.

Take a cup of coffee sitback and let the magic happen on its own.

Hope this helps.

100 Posts

May 11th, 2017 13:00

I have the same issue but F10 doesn't work since System Services is Disabled.

In my case, there's no OS installed. Any ideas?

1 Message

June 16th, 2017 14:00

I currently have this issue on a T410. If I pull the iDRAC Enterprise/Express cards the message is gone, but that isn't a real fix.

I got a new T410 motherboard from eBay and I get the same message when I install the iDRAC Enterprise/Express cards.

System fan runs at full speed and the "System Services Disabled" message.

No Events found!