Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

5 Posts

December 25th, 2018 05:00

R620 GPU Possible?

Hi there! I have a Dell R620 equipped with 2 Xeon E5-2680v2's and 64gb RAM and 2 1100W power supplies. I've been thinking of putting in a graphics card for stuff like video editing or even gaming. From what I've heard, the R620 only has one pci power connector on the board. This should (in theory) then be enough to accommodate up to a GTX 1080 (NVidia states 1 8 pin power connector for this card). Only problem now is that it's a 1U server... My plan is to use pci-e extension cable(s) and mounting the card outside of the case. This server is the only one I have and it is not in a rack so I think this *could* somehow work. Is this at all a viable option? Has anyone ever attempted this? Thanks!

2.9K Posts

December 26th, 2018 07:00

Good morning,

The R620 wasn't intended to be used with video cards, so you may run into some issues. The first problem would be getting the extra power carried to the card with the 8 pin connectors, but the other issue is that the card may lead to stability issues. You can get messages such as "Bus Fatal Error at X:X:X," which would keep the server from POSTing. That having been said, some people in the forum have done similar things and reported it working once loaded into the OS. I wouldn't recommend it, if what you have in mind is buying a card specifically for this server, as opposed to testing something you already have. 

5 Posts

December 26th, 2018 09:00

@Dell-DylanJ

Thank you for replying! According to the R620 technical guide, the board supports a 75W graphics card. This however, is obviously only valid for cards pulling power exclusively from the pci-e slot.

I have a single 8-pin connector right above the power supplies that is current unused (see image). The GPU I am looking at only requires a single 8-pin cable.

Do you happen to know what the wattage rating for the connector mentioned above is?

Thanks!

2.9K Posts

December 26th, 2018 09:00

You're correct, it looks like I may have been looking at some dated information. As for that connector, I'm not sure off hand. I'll need to dig into it and check. I'd be inclined to think that it would be capable of providing the power needed, but I'll need to get back to you on that.

2.9K Posts

December 26th, 2018 10:00

The connector in question is for a backplane power cable. The necessary watts are probably there, however, I can't find if this is an EPS connector, or an 8 pin PCI connector. They're keyed differently, so they would not connect with one another (bottom right pins are shaped differently). Considering the location, I would expect it is a 8 pin PCI connector, but I would still recommend proceeding with caution because the 2 ports look so similar, even if they're meant for different things. The important callout being that some of the voltage rails are reversed, so if an inappropriate cable were plugged into the connector, it could short circuit. I can't find any definitive information about that connector, since it's meant for a different purpose. Pinout details for the connector aren't available. I'd look at one physically, but don't have one available right now. 

Speaking generally, most servers we have that support GPUs include a GPU enablement kit. Part if that kit are the connectors to power a GPU. Despite what we see in that guide you linked to, I don't see that we ever sold any GPUs for the server, nor a GPU enablement kit, an dour slot priority matrix doesn't list a GPU classification, either. If you decide to continue, just be careful to confirm that connector is PCI.

5 Posts

December 26th, 2018 13:00

@Dell-DylanJ wrote:

The connector in question is for a backplane power cable. The necessary watts are probably there, however, I can't find if this is an EPS connector, or an 8 pin PCI connector. They're keyed differently, so they would not connect with one another (bottom right pins are shaped differently). Considering the location, I would expect it is a 8 pin PCI connector, but I would still recommend proceeding with caution because the 2 ports look so similar, even if they're meant for different things. The important callout being that some of the voltage rails are reversed, so if an inappropriate cable were plugged into the connector, it could short circuit. I can't find any definitive information about that connector, since it's meant for a different purpose. Pinout details for the connector aren't available. I'd look at one physically, but don't have one available right now. 

Speaking generally, most servers we have that support GPUs include a GPU enablement kit. Part if that kit are the connectors to power a GPU. Despite what we see in that guide you linked to, I don't see that we ever sold any GPUs for the server, nor a GPU enablement kit, an dour slot priority matrix doesn't list a GPU classification, either. If you decide to continue, just be careful to confirm that connector is PCI.

Unfortunately, it does look like the connector is not actually pci... How does one of these GPU enablement kits work for let's say an R720 or R820 because as far as I'm aware, these servers also don't have a pci power connector. Does the power cable supplied with the kit plug into that backplane power connector? The R720 board is extremely similar to the R620 board and I can spot the same connector on there as well.

EDIT: **bleep**, the R720 and R820 actually have a pci power connector right on the riser cards. The R620 does not have this.

2.9K Posts

December 28th, 2018 07:00

It looks like my reply didn't save properly. You are correct, the enablement kits tie into the risers. 

I tried posting this yesterday afternoon and it looked like it had saved.

5 Posts

April 18th, 2019 15:00

OK a quick update. I found a single slot gtx 1050ti that only draws power from the pcie slot. The only issue I'm having now is physical size. This is the card I'm looking at: http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=297 The card in question has a length of 211mm and a height of 99.8mm. The height seems fine but the length will not work with my current riser configuration. According to the R620 technical guide, I have the 3pcie slot model. I do not have riser card 2, I only have riser card 1 and 3. All 3 of these slots are not long enough to accommodate the 1050ti. There is also a 2pcie slot model that comes with riser 2 and 3 it seems. Riser 2 would be able to hold a card that is 3/4 length and full height.I tried measuring things but it's kind of hard to do since I'm missing riser 2. The heatsink of the raid controller might be in the way but the slot of riser 2 might stick out a bit further so not sure if that's a problem. If I were to remove my riser 1 and replace it with riser 2, would I be able to install a graphics card with a length of 211mm?

2.5K Posts

April 20th, 2019 16:00

the 1080 needs 150 to 180watts all by its self, NVIDIA spec, (wiki it)

so you need power to the NVIDIA AUX power jack, with 15amps of extra 12vdc power, just here.

how to do that , would be hard in ANY server, why use  server for gaming?

buy  Dell 7050 and build off that,  I can tell  you how, I have 1030 running any GTX  made up to GTX660

using custom PSU, but that was easy , not your server.

I will not comment fully on ebay BITCOINMining  pci-e extension cable(s)  cables,. that  hack is over the top.

1u is not the only problem there are those Screaming fans not heard once you load this box up. I think.

11 Posts

June 5th, 2020 00:00

hi there did you manage to install GPU card finally ? if so, which card is it ?

July 15th, 2022 11:00

It may be possible to install a thunderbolt card and connect a external GPU to that.  This way everything is powered externally.

1 Message

October 30th, 2023 15:19

@wrcarterjr007​ did you find out if this is possible ?

To install a ThunderBolt card and use an eGPU like a RazorCore device ?

No Events found!