Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2019 12:00

R620 - convert from 4-bay to 8-bay

I would like to convert from a 4 to 6 bay setup. Besides adding a new backplane (KVGG1 TK2VY), do I need a new front panel? It appears that the slots for the additional 4 drives are behind the grill on the front. Do I only need to remove this grill in order to install the additional drives? If removing the grill is all that’s required, how is it removed? It appears to snapped in place.

2.9K Posts

May 1st, 2019 10:00

Part description: H310,H710 Adapter, PCIe form factor to 8 HDD bkpln (from PERC 8i card to BP) 

This would be the cable to run to the PCI card itself.

As for removing that mesh grid, I'm not sure. I even checked our build guides that get sent to manufacturing, but didn't see anything. I'm afraid I can't confirm how to remove it, or even that it is meant to be removable. 

2.9K Posts

April 30th, 2019 15:00

You would need a new backplane, potentially different SAS cables, but also another drive cage. The biggest problem being the drive cage, because they're fixed in place as part of the chassis.

7 Posts

May 1st, 2019 07:00

Would it help if I give you the service tag? It appears that the extra four drive cages are present behind the front grill.

2.9K Posts

May 1st, 2019 08:00

If you want to PM it to me, I'd be happy to check it out.

2.9K Posts

May 1st, 2019 09:00

ASSY,CHAS,8HD,2 PCI,1U,V2,R620

That's the description of the chassis, so it'll have an 8 drive cage. You'll need a backplane to support 8 drives, part number K11KP looks good. The cable you would want is R1RNV. Its has SAS A and SAS B terminals to connect to the new backplane. You should be able to reuse the I2C and backplane power cables, I believe.

7 Posts

Can you tell me how to remove the mesh grill in front of the empty drive bays? It appears that it snaps in place but any suggestions on removing it would be appreciated.

7 Posts

Is the R1RNV sas cable for connecting to the Mimi mono PERC or to a pci card? I can’t seem to find any information about the actual cable length. I am using a pci raid card installed in the rear of the chassis so I need one long enough to reach it.

1 Message

July 20th, 2021 05:00

The Mesh grill is removed with some leverage and brute force. It sits firmly, but ultimately just clips in, I find that if I get the top or the inner left part pried away from the chassis, then work around it from that point, it comes out with the least amount of effort.

Have you managed to complete this upgrade, and was there any further caveats? I am weighing up doing this upgrade as well.

No Events found!