Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2015 08:00

R710 Memory Dump

Hi

Basic question I know, but is there anything within the standard set-up of an R710 that will prevent a memory dump from being created?

I have a server (W2003) which keeps restarting for no apparent reason. A call has been raised with MS and they say that something "Dell" is preventing the dump being written. Personally, I don't think a dump is being created because the server isn't blue-screening, simply rebooting, but they want this checking out before going any further.

The server has been set to create a full dump (16Gb memory, 33Gb pagefile) and is now set to create a kernel dump. Auto-restart has been turned off in Windows in the hopes that we can generate a dump through NMI (if we get to the server in time). I can't find anything obvious in the BIOS.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• 

6.2K Posts

March 6th, 2015 14:00

Hello

There is nothing in the BIOS or BMC settings I can think of that would stop a memory dump from being created. If it is not being created then I would agree with you that the restarts are not being caused by a NMI. It is possible that the restart is occurring due to a watchdog timer event. I would recommend reviewing the hardware log in the BMC to see what is happening at the time of these restarts.

The system BIOS and BMC each have watchdog timers that can be enabled. If they are enabled and the heartbeat is lost then they will perform the action that is configured. By default watchdog timers are not enabled, so if they are enabled it would have been something that was configured after the system was received.

Thanks

No Events found!